• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
With JPATS they still haven't got the tires to last for more than about 100-200 landings, the ejection seat sequencers don't work as designed, the external rescue is disabled for lack of spare parts (thus big yellow rescue arrows got painted over), they did somehow solve the HUDs randomly coming on full bright, one or the other main landing gear doors break loose and flap in the breeze about once every 500 hours, there was that weird problem with some of the trailing edge ribs buckling (dunno whatever became of that), the avionics access panels fall off the airplane when you do advanced OCF (so no advanced OCF training), forward visibility from the rear cockpit is and has always been atrocious (they took the great canopy design of the PC-9—that flies faster and higher—and then put a 2" thick canopy bow around the windshield... pro tip- to see the rabbit lights when you break out on an instrument approach, don't fly with the needle perfectly centered), crappy cockpit storage, brakes that are strong and grippy on one plane but weak on the next one, plus a few more things I can't remember.

I wish just a little bit of this shit would happen on a VIP flight instead of only normal flights.

On the plus side, the OBOGS hasn't had the problems that other systems have had (any problems are mostly just people not wearing their mask properly and/or missing the cockpit failing to pressurize because they blew off their checklist discipline climbing through 10,000 feet).

Other than all that, it's actually a blast to fly for aero, forms, and instruments.

I'm confident that our committees will nail the new helo trainer on the first try.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
You forgot brake pedals that randomly shear off and go all the way to the floor.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The final quote is quite interesting..."What we have found is that the TH-67 students turn out to be good pilots but poor system managers, while the UH-72A students are poor pilots but good system managers." Thinking of today's military aviator what are we looking for? Stick-and-rudder guys or systems guys?
Actually, the guys coming out of flight school right now are terrible at systems, regardless of platform. Imagine walking through the preflight of a Blackhawk, asking the new pilot what they are looking at, and pausing on the left side of the intermediate gear box:
Me: What are you looking at here?
NEWB (with checklist in his hand): There should be stuff in there. It should be filled up to the dot.
Me: Quizzical look...What IS this?
NEWB: Uhhhh...A transmission?
Me: Which one?
NEWB: Uhhh….I don't know.
Me: Intermediate gearbox?
NEWB: Uhhh...yeah...I guess.
Me: Thinking I should point at tail wheel and ask what it is, decide to ask, What are we generally looking at everywhere?
NEWB: Uhhhh
Me: Condition and... Condition and... Condition and...
NEWB: Job security.

I AM NOT LYING!!! He said it three more times. I threatened to end the preflight/flight with an UNSAT if he said that again.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Actually, the guys coming out of flight school right now are terrible at systems, regardless of platform. Imagine walking through the preflight of a Blackhawk, asking the new pilot what they are looking at, and pausing on the left side of the intermediate gear box:
Me: What are you looking at here?
NEWB (with checklist in his hand): There should be stuff in there. It should be filled up to the dot.
Me: Quizzical look...What IS this?
NEWB: Uhhhh...A transmission?
Me: Which one?
NEWB: Uhhh….I don't know.
Me: Intermediate gearbox?
NEWB: Uhhh...yeah...I guess.
Me: Thinking I should point at tail wheel and ask what it is, decide to ask, What are we generally looking at everywhere?
NEWB: Uhhhh
Me: Condition and... Condition and... Condition and...
NEWB: Job security.

I AM NOT LYING!!! He said it three more times. I threatened to end the preflight/flight with an UNSAT if he said that again.
I think Gayler meant flight management systems—navigation and such. How was he at that?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I think Gayler meant flight management systems—navigation and such. How was he at that?
Marginally acceptable. Our new crop is worse at hand flying, operating the FMS and systems knowledge. And I don't think it is the LUH airframe or systems responsible for the deficiency.

About half of the noobs reach for the flight director knobs as the aircraft is going through translational lift. Then they are surprised when the FD fails. They hand fly the aircraft to an attitude that will not reliably continue the acceleration past *50 kts and try to couple to an airspeed. When the nose pitches up due to blow back and the airspeed passes 50 kts and then decelerates below 48 kts, the flight director fails.

So no, they are not good at hand flying and they do not understand the FMS well enough to be able to rely on it.

*50 kts is where our FMS changes from heading and attitude to airspeed and turn coordination mode. It will disengage airspeed hold below 48 kts..

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Marginally acceptable. Our new crop is worse at hand flying, operating the FMS and systems knowledge. And I don't think it is the LUH airframe or systems responsible for the deficiency.
I hate to use the cliché, but that sounds like a leadership issue. Not you and your peers at your unit, Rob, I mean flight school leadership.

Some of the blame goes to generational culture and their parents, but most of it goes to the training establishment. It's their job to clearly communicate the standards on day one and then enforce them after that.

Seems a lot of that going around these days... (Me being a career instructor/retired, lest I come across as pointing fingers as if my shit doesn't stink, I have to admit I've been guilty of it from time to time.)

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I hate to use the cliché, but that sounds like a leadership issue. Not you and your peers at your unit, Rob, I mean flight school leadership.

Some of the blame goes to generational culture and their parents, but most of it goes to the training establishment. It's their job to clearly communicate the standards on day one and then enforce them after that.

Seems a lot of that going around these days... (Me being a career instructor/retired, lest I come across as pointing fingers as if my shit doesn't stink, I have to admit I've been guilty of it from time to time.)
Agree. I see the problem getting worse, and the change to the LUH only masking the problem in the near future.

croakerfish

pilot
Some of the blame goes to generational culture and their parents, but most of it goes to the training establishment.

What the hell do people's parents have to do with being taught how to fly a helicopter? Our studs are doing the same as always on stick skills with this ancient POS so I'm going to go with 100% of the blame falls on the training establishment. If you teach guys to fly via automation that's how they'll fly. Growing up with the internet is not the reason.