• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
But are they behind because of twin-engines or because of going with a -145? I'm not saying the -135 is THE way to go, by any means, but the -135 =/= -145, especially in maintenance, or more specifically near-to-mid life Mx. Yes, I get the long-term Mx is costly.

Honestly I didn't really know what that Twitter response even meant.

The issue isn’t that the 145 is too big. Twins have more complicated transmissions and have twice the drivetrain maintenance.

Rigid heads have big advantages, but are also very fragile. In dynamic maneuvering, slope landings, and with hands-of-meat student pilots, you can easily exceed critical mast angles and damage the head.

Talked to a 135 pilot last week and he said he’d never trust an inexperienced pilot to not break the rotor.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
The issue isn’t that the 145 is too big. Twins have more complicated transmissions and have twice the drivetrain maintenance.

Rigid heads have big advantages, but are also very fragile. In dynamic maneuvering, slope landings, and with hands-of-meat student pilots, you can easily exceed critical mast angles and damage the head.

Talked to a 135 pilot last week and he said he’d never trust an inexperienced pilot to not break the rotor.
Ughh. And Airbus!!! Having a foreign manufacturer involved (at all) in military aircraft maintenance is, at the least, inconvenient. I won't talk about it in detail on here, but a significant...SIGNIFICANT amount of our down time can be traced directly or indirectly to the Army's relationship with Airbus and/or the FAA mandated maintenance practices.

Keep in mind, my POV is as the QC supervisor with 7 CH-47s, 6 HH-60Ms and 4 LUH-72s. I don't work at Ft Rucker with contract maintainers. At our facility the LUHs give the CH-47s a real run for their money as hangar queens. Not because they have a lot of moving parts (like the CH-47) or because they are fragile, but because of the square peg in a round hole aspect of Army LUH maintenance.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

I'm well aware of the Bell talking points, but none of that answered my question. Why is the Army "behind" after going with the -145? I also never said the -145 was too big. I'm not even sure where that came from.

Again, as I said, I'm not convinced the -135 is the right answer, but I'll offer this: When I first started flying it, I hawked the MMI needle religiously. Then I noticed that it was never really getting anywhere near the 50% mark unless I was doing some kind of uncomfortable sloped landing. There are probably several other times where the rigid head isn't the best idea for studs, but I wonder if more is made of the MMI limits than should be.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I'm well aware of the Bell talking points, but none of that answered my question. Why is the Army "behind" after going with the -145? I also never said the -145 was too big. I'm not even sure where that came from.

Again, as I said, I'm not convinced the -135 is the right answer, but I'll offer this: When I first started flying it, I hawked the MMI needle religiously. Then I noticed that it was never really getting anywhere near the 50% mark unless I was doing some kind of uncomfortable sloped landing. There are probably several other times where the rigid head isn't the best idea for studs, but I wonder if more is made of the MMI limits than should be.

That’s my attempt to give objective reasons that they are getting more flight hours out of their remaining 30 year-old 67s than their 5-10 year old 145s.

Open for more ideas, though. I’m sure it’s a fine helicopter, but perhaps not the right option for a trainer.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

Granted TPS uses the UH-72 in a few ways that studs shouldn't, but IIRC, running landings were the major maneuver where MMI was an issue (rotor inputs with airframe unable to move in response). It seems like you'd want fresh studs to practice those, a lot.

OTOH, I think we had only one MMI exceedance during our class, and that was a TPUI rapping the cyclic ~1.5 inch forward in flight.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That’s my attempt to give objective reasons that they are getting more flight hours out of their remaining 30 year-old 67s than their 5-10 year old 145s.

Open for more ideas, though. I’m sure it’s a fine helicopter, but perhaps not the right option for a trainer.

I think we're talking past one another. I'm not arguing that the -72 was a good idea. I'm asking for clarification on what is meant by the statement, "Our Lakota generation is being left behind" in the Twitter post. I understand you didn't write it, but you seem to agree with it. So I'm asking "what" is being left behind? Time to train? Helicopter skills? Systems management?

Granted TPS uses the UH-72 in a few ways that studs shouldn't, but IIRC, running landings were the major maneuver where MMI was an issue (rotor inputs with airframe unable to move in response). It seems like you'd want fresh studs to practice those, a lot.

OTOH, I think we had only one MMI exceedance during our class, and that was a TPUI rapping the cyclic ~1.5 inch forward in flight.

Yeah, and I wish I had more data on how resilient the mast is on running landings on the -135. I can see that being an issue, but so is not stopping in time in the -57 while approaching the access road at Spencer.

All of our engine malfunctions end with a running landing (even with two engines that are making power) and apparently there's some ham-fisted new hires, especially the Chinook guys. So there has to be some resiliency.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
I can't really defend the "left behind" part of the post, other than to guess that it's a general comment on the quality and amount of training they're getting in the fundamentals relative to those on the TH-67. The poster did seem to be conflating military and civilian training concerns.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't really defend the "left behind" part of the post, other than to guess that it's a general comment on the quality and amount of training they're getting in the fundamentals relative to those on the TH-67. The poster did seem to be conflating military and civilian training concerns.

Gotcha. The internet can be a wonderful thing...until you try to communicate on it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I know folks at Leonardo and the CNATRA/NAVAIR team was very tight lipped on their evaluation during the demonstration of TH-119 in Philadelphia a few weeks ago....