• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Bell rumor came across my inbox today - that there is a Bell 429 option to be proposed in addition to the Bell 407 GXI - not sure if its a pure play 429 or a mix of 407 and 429's along the lines of the TH-57 B &C. But it will be a separate Bell proposal from an IFR 407 GXI. I just thought it was interesting.

View attachment 21209

Last I heard, the 429 was limited to 7,000 lbs MGW in the US but a number of other countries have increased it to 7,500 lbs. Any idea what it would be for the Navy if it was selected?

On a different note, I heard Site 8 is finally gone. And where is the new "Site X" field going to be? (Hopefully extremely close to either the Alpaca Farm of the Horse Farm...)

http://ssrnews.com/historic-military-land-swap-includes-new-santa-rosa-helicopter-site/

croakerfish

pilot
Last I heard, the 429 was limited to 7,000 lbs MGW in the US but a number of other countries have increased it to 7,500 lbs. Any idea what it would be for the Navy if it was selected?

On a different note, I heard Site 8 is finally gone. And where is the new "Site X" field going to be? (Hopefully extremely close to either the Alpaca Farm of the Horse Farm...)

http://ssrnews.com/historic-military-land-swap-includes-new-santa-rosa-helicopter-site/

It's north of Pace. We just started using it this month.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
This is generally true but it depends on type/model, especially the horizontal stab design. The H-60 Sikorsky Rube Goldberg stabilator practically does it for you. The horizontal stab on some TH-55s had the opposite effect and would make the aircraft "bunt," when the collective was lowered entering an auto, which could result in disastrous Nr decay (that is why the stall strips on the Bells is in the peculiar location on the "bottom" of the inverted airfoil). Either way, this comes back to what is going on with that blade element diagram during the transition from powered to unpowered flight... helo aerodynamics isn't just some harassment package.
And now a note from our sponsors...

Sikorsky's UTTAS proposal had a fixed stabilator even after winning the contract for a prototype. The "fly-by-wire" stabilator came in during testing of one of the YUH-60A prototypes. Rube Goldberg-ish as it may be, it solved several design issues.

If you fly an H-60 or have flown an H-60, I strongly recommend this book:

Black Hawk: The Story of a World Class Helicopter
By Ray D. Leoni, owner of the design patent for the Black Hawk

or an abbreviated version here in the Jan 2008 newsletter.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program...

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
P E R F E C T!!! What better way to instill nostalgia than to have SNAs fly legacy simulators for BI and RI. I flew the UH-1 simulator back in the early 80s for BI. I figure it will be 10 years after the new training helo is online before they have a sim for it.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
P E R F E C T!!! What better way to instill nostalgia than to have SNAs fly legacy simulators for BI and RI. I flew the UH-1 simulator back in the early 80s for BI. I figure it will be 10 years after the new training helo is online before they have a sim for it.
I “flew” those very same UH-1 simulators for BI’s in 1987....

croakerfish

pilot
...and in a stroke of acquisition genius - Navy announces delivery of new TH-57 simulators. Really?

So? We have to fly this turd for probably another 5 or 6 years before it's fully phased out and the current sims are so far beyond outdated it's like some kind of skit comedy. This could not have been put off any longer.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't know about these simulators specifically, but modern sims are designed to be platform neutral. I wouldn't be surprised if adapting them to TH-XX, aka the Bell 407GXi, isn't anything more than swapping out panels.

In 5 years they'll be scrapping those for VR headsets anyway. Big screen motion sims are going the way of the dinosaur.