• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
and @phrogdriver a little birdie told me that the TH-119 team is still undergoing US IFR certification for Genysys equipped aircraft - that work is ongoing. No word on when they expect it to be complete.

But they are doing full touchdown autos in the aircraft at their training academy without issue.

Also XC cruise at 152 KTAS!

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
the 57 is still reliable enough to comfortably say that the student will kill you before the aircraft will. the maintenance issues it does have arent really that bad. but they are tired.

ChuckMK23

pilot
the 57 is still reliable enough to comfortably say that the student will kill you before the aircraft will. the maintenance issues it does have arent really that bad. but they are tired.
The 48 month overhaul cost for the TH-57 is now north of $700K per aircraft - its getting prohibitively expensive to operate.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The 48 month overhaul cost for the TH-57 is now north of $700K per aircraft - its getting prohibitively expensive to operate.

That’s gotta be close to what they cost new. Weren’t they right around a mil a pop in dollars of the day?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Thought I saw somewhere that Bell put up both the latest variant of the 407 as well as the twin 429. Curious to know if the 429 uses a combining gearbox like the Bell 212 / 412 or does it use direct drive into the transmission like the EC-135.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Thought I saw somewhere that Bell put up both the latest variant of the 407 as well as the twin 429. Curious to know if the 429 uses a combining gearbox like the Bell 212 / 412 or does it use direct drive into the transmission like the EC-135.
Looking at this diagram it looks *to me* like the transmission takes the input shaft from each engine without an intermediary combining gearbox

Bell-429-Poster-FINAL1200.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor

I think it's only a matter of time before avionics fail (and I'm not talking gucci GTNs, I'm talking the attitude gyro and other basics) in the clouds and someone gets vertigo that ends up in an unrecoverable departure from controlled flight.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'd say this Bell 206B3 is flying more stressful duty on airframe and drivetrain than any SNA in HT's...

I disagree, not only because of what @HokiePilot said about SNA hard landings, but a few others:

1. Presumably, he is remaining in limits, and probably has a transmission that can handle it. We're in the 5 minute range on practically every XC takeoff or anytime I take up 2 former varsity athletes. Hell, the wrong gust of wind can overtorque someone in the 57.
2. The constant adjustment of the twist grip to flight idle and back to full open cannot be good for the helicopter... every...single...day.
3. How many hours/year is he doing that in that bird? There are 57s flying every single day, and when maintenance is short on birds, it's the same set of 57s flying every day.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
2. The constant adjustment of the twist grip to flight idle and back to full open cannot be good for the helicopter... every...single...day.
70+ times a day being not uncommon, as I mentioned.

(Of which Chuck, Randy, Hokie, phrogdriver, you, and others on this thread are well aware.)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Plus innumerable operations outside of full open, with resultant Nf turbine effects.