• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
CNATRA got rid of the Navy's several years ago to avoid the recurring $1m dry dock expense. That was the admiral who never found time to ride in the TH-57 (but did find time to get his personal T-45 NATOPS qual...).
This isn't the same CNATRA who once posted on AW is it? Because he had a baller stache (and winged me).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If that happens, it seems like it would crush Airbus in the competition, assuming the Navy goes with the same model of training it has historically. More and more operators (and more specifically, programs) are switching to the 407, in large part due to cost (and the lack of need for IFR).

If CNATRA wants to add capability like was discussed earlier (Station SAR type stuff), then maybe not so cut and dry.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If that happens, it seems like it would crush Airbus in the competition, assuming the Navy goes with the same model of training it has historically.

the fact that Bell is pursuing IFR certification means they think it can be done with fairly low risk in time to tender a bid to the Navy requirement in 2019. The 407 would be essentially drop in replacement to the '57 with minimal curriculum or people changes.

very interesting.

croakerfish

pilot
So full autos are a "should" not a "shall" requirement, it has to have a rescue hoist, comparatively crazy HOGE capability, air-air TACAN and night formation lighting, and the ability to upgrade the avionics to simulate weapons systems.

I'm dying to see what they have in mind for this syllabus!

ChuckMK23

pilot
I was surprised - genuinely - to see all that. Good stuff. I suspect this wont be a simple evolution of the HT syllabus.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Curious what you guys who are/were FRS IP's think ..... of the emerging undergraduate syllabus requirements.