• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hot new helicopter/rotorcraft news

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Let me find it today at work.

I’d be interested to see exactly what they’re proposing. There are plenty of helos that can do non-combat SAR that are a lot cheaper to operate than 60s....like any of the proposed Navy trainers.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is something the HSC community has pitched as a way to bring MH-60S's back to the fleet in the most recent (May?) community missive.
I thought most of the Station SAR birds were Blk I/IIs that weren't useful in the fleet.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
50% seems way high to me. I might be able to buy 33%. I can count on one hand the number of guys/gals I know who wanted to NOM but didn’t, and the majority of them picked up Station SAR.

Yeah, looking back at my squadron it was closer to 30% than 50%, you're right. Similarly, 30-40% from our sister HSM squadron. All but one of those that didn't though all wanted to continue flying and weren't given that opportunity.

Last edited:

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I’d be interested to see exactly what they’re proposing. There are plenty of helos that can do non-combat SAR that are a lot cheaper to operate than 60s....like any of the proposed Navy trainers.
I'm an idiot and forgot to get it yesterday. I had today off and I'll get it tomorrow... hopefully.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Are they upgradable to the current standard?

I'd have to assume they were - they've done it to other ones at least. In the same missive (I swear I'll get it here soon), it also said the future ideal solution would be a "block iv" across the fleet so all the 60S's were the same.

What is "NOM" btw?

As others have said in other words, helo pilots (and I assume VP) have to "nominate" for a follow on production tour. Fail to "nom," and you'll have some other opportunities, like Station SAR, or you can re-nom for the NROTC billets available in that cycle. It's basically a combination of your FITREP, flight hours, flight school performance, and CO's recommendation and then hoping Millington assigns you to what you want.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I'd have to assume they were - they've done it to other ones at least. In the same missive (I swear I'll get it here soon), it also said the future ideal solution would be a "block iv" across the fleet so all the 60S's were the same.

As others have said in other words, helo pilots (and I assume VP) have to "nominate" for a follow on production tour. Fail to "nom," and you'll have some other opportunities, like Station SAR, or you can re-nom for the NROTC billets available in that cycle. It's basically a combination of your FITREP, flight hours, flight school performance, and CO's recommendation and then hoping Millington assigns you to what you want.

That sounds exhausting - hmmm in my day I just called my detailer 2-3 months out to end of tour and said "Hey I want to go to the HT's - what do you think" and I had orders the next day to HT-18.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
That sounds exhausting - hmmm in my day I just called my detailer 2-3 months out to end of tour and said "Hey I want to go to the HT's - what do you think" and I had orders the next day to HT-18.

Yeah... my peers are jealous of that haha. Now you start like 9 months out trying to detail into a flying job.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Yeah... my peers are jealous of that haha. Now you start like 9 months out trying to detail into a flying job.
I was a squarely middle of the pack player in my first squadron. I shunned ground jobs that took real effort, or simply found more willing peers who would do the work. I flew flew flew and stayed in top 5 for flight time - and that was the sole basis of my selection to go to HT's. Ahhh this high stakes political competitiveness that you guys describe - begging for the praise and annointment of your skipper and XO seems less fun.