• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CASPA

Hello
I am new to the forum. I am interested in the BDCP and I need some info like how do i get started. I am a Mechanical Engineering student transfering to the University of Missouri in the fall 2003 from Illinois. I have a gpa of about 2.9 right now but wont know till the end of the semester. I am interested in any way the Navy can help me finish my last 2-2.5 years of school so I can become a Naval Officer. I really want to become a Navy Pilot but don't know about the eye exam since I wear glasses. I really would like to get everything started as soon as i can, if anyone knows about and websites or people I can contact any help will be greatly appreciated.

WFU2USN

CASPA,

First of all, you need to contact a Navy Officer Recruiter - use the recruiter locater at www.navy.com - you type in your zip code and (I think) in smaller writing toward the bottom of the page, it indicates the Officer recruiter phone number.

BDCP/OCS are very competitive right now. Your GPA may hurt, so keep working on it - the higher the better!!!! They may also look at you differently bc you're in an engineering program.

The officer recruiter will set you up to take the ATSB - look under that section on this forum to get advice on preparing for it. You want to do VERY well on this test, esp. given your sub-3.0 gpa.

You'll also do a physical, Physical Readiness Test, write a personal statement, complete MANY forms, get letters of recommendation, submit transcripts as part of this process.

I hope that helps.

:)Robin
IS2(SCW)

CASPA

Thanks that helps out I didn't know that there were differant recruiters for officers and enlisted. I have been to a regular recruiter near my house and the gave me the pretest (I think i scored a 77) and then told me that they would recommend for me to go to Nuclear Power School, I went in to find out about how to become a Naval Pilot and they weren't giving me much information so i didn't go back. I was considering going into the Nuclear Program then trying to change later but it was recomended to me that I just go in doing the job I want to do, was this a good move? Also what other options do I have as far as getting help from the Navy for school?

WFU2USN

CASPA,

It's likely if it was an enlisted recruiter he gave you the ASVAB pre-test which is the qualification test for enlisted personnel. Enlisted recruiters are not the ones you need to talk to for BDCP/OCS/AVIATION/NUPOC, etc.

If you want to look into the Navy's NUPOC (Nuke Officer) Program, there are ways they can help you with school, as well. For this, the following site may help: http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/nucfield/

Good luck!

:)Robin

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
hey the same thing happened to me when i went into the recruiter a year ago. The first guy I talked to was kind of a prick. He tried to talk me into just enlisting, completing school through the Navy, and hoping that I will get an SNA commission. He told me to come back to take the ASVAB test...i did, scored really high, then they scheduled me an appointment to speak with the officer recruiter. Made me feel like I had to prove to them that I wasnt some idiot hoping for a job.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The real question is why are you leaving Illinois? I entered the BDCP with a 2.9 in General Engineering. The folks at the recruiting district Chicago took care of me. If you are going to Mizzou, then the guys out of St. Louis would be the ones to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.