• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New CNO? (Take 2)

robav8r

None
Contributor
Update:

“Gilday is a three-star admiral, and the paper reports his expected nomination means a number of four-star admirals were passed over.” That is certainly interesting . . . . .

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably has a lot to do with timing, as guys like ADMs Aquilino, Foggo and Grady aren't due to rotate. A lot easier to replace the DJS on short notice than a 4-star component commander.

snake020

Contributor
Probably has a lot to do with timing, as guys like ADMs Aquilino, Foggo and Grady aren't due to rotate. A lot easier to replace the DJS on short notice than a 4-star component commander.
I'm still wondering why it was so important to pull ADM Richardson from Naval Reactors to be CNO.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

That or lack of a suitable 4-star candidate for the job. Foggo wouldn’t have worked because current VCNO and last 2 CNOs were/are submariners.

I’m fine with the pick, especially with his background in cyber/10th Flt.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Old story that seems to have an above board process WRT CNO's actions - retained until the investigation is complete, then fired. Am I missing something?
To Brett: I know it's an old story. It's the same story that led to him having to apologize at a press conference and again in testimony on the Hill.

But apparently only on the CNO staff do you get to keep your job until the investigation is complete...Tell me what fleet O-5 wouldn't have appreciated the same "courtesy" under similar circumstances. CNO mishandled the case from the beginning; those chickens have come home to roost. Whatever communication VCNO had with the dude can be debated and characterized in any number of ways, but I think it's pretty easy for most reasonable adults to conclude it was poor headwork. But, so bad as to lead to the outcome he/we got..?

In general: This is, in a small way, part of a self-induced problem where we use the phrase "sexual assault" in too broad of a sense. Sexaul assault is abhorent and when it occurs it constitutes a grave violation of trust in the ranks. When we throw the term around and use it to describe acts that in ANY other legal setting are not "sexual assault" we create mine fields for ourselves.

I know and anticipate the counter-arguments to that sentiment - cool... As I wrote to a member in a PM, two things (as in most cases) can be true at the same time: sexual assault is stain on the fabric of our service and ethos; and we've gone WAY too far. Both things are true.

Last edited:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tell me what fleet O-5 wouldn't have appreciated the same "courtesy" under similar circumstances.
That thought definitely crossed my mind, though the individual being investigated wasn’t in command. I still don’t understand how this took Moran down. There’s more to the story.

To your in general comments, couldn’t agree more. This is a reflection of a greater problem in our society, where a Harvard professor who tells a harmless off color joke in an elevator is treated by the social media lynch mob as though he just violently raped a minor child. It’s completely out of control. There are elements of victimhood culture, a lack of psychological resilience and general personal fragility that are doing real harm to our society. Recommend Jon Haidt’s book “The Coddling of the American Mind.”

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That thought definitely crossed my mind, though the individual being investigated wasn’t in command. I still don’t understand how this took Moran down. There’s more to the story.

To your in general comments, couldn’t agree more. This is a reflection of a greater problem in our society, where a Harvard professor who tells a harmless off color joke in an elevator is treated by the social media lynch mob as though he just violently raped a minor child. It’s completely out of control. There are elements of victimhood culture, a lack of psychological resilience and general personal fragility that are doing real harm to our society. Recommend Jon Haidt’s book “The Coddling of the American Mind.”
Damn @Brett327 Shack-a-Lama-Dama-Ding-Dong!

Farva01

BKR
pilot

Just got done reading that book. It hit me on so many levels as a father, husband and Naval Officer/XO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just got done reading that book. It hit me on so many levels as a father, husband and Naval Officer/XO.
Jon Haidt is a national treasure. People of every political persuasion will get something out of his books. There are some great YouTube videos of him debating SJW adherents on the utter ridiculousness of trigger warnings, and safe spaces for adult university students.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The bar for firing is not the same as the bar for passing someone over to be hired.

Were this to come out after ADM Moran swore in as CNO, he'd keep his job.