• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Car Help

ab187

I went the small car (Civic) route with renting furnished places and its worked out really well so far. As was said they are easy enough to put on a trailer behind a U-Haul if needed. Plus I drive alot so when it only costs $22 to fill it up after 400 miles I can put the savings towards food/beer money :D

Pags

N/A
pilot
Buy what you want and what aligns with your interests. But be forewarned that in picking a car you’re picking a tribe as well. If you buy a truck you’ll soon also buy mossy oak camo. If you buy a civic you’ll soon have ground effects. If you don’t buy a corvette you won’t get jets. Choose wisely.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Dude what you really need is a two seat roadster or coupe and a high performance motorcycle. You will never ever be expected to be the DD, ergo life will be more fun.

In all seriousness though, USAA car finder is pretty good. A smart idea for you would be a relatively affordable new car, or a good deal used car. If you're going to OCS in January, you should be eligible for your USAA Career Starter loan after you commission. You can take it for up to $25,000 dollars and its a pretty low interest rate (2.3%?), and use that to find yourself a solid ride for a bit. If I were you I'd find something easy to maintain and in good shape on craigslist for 10k and drive that until you get yourself pretty established. Or a motorcycle, because thats what I did.

do your friends and future classmates a favor, find a Mazda Miata and buy it, that way they will always have something to laugh at.

Probably one of the most well balanced 4 wheel machines I've ever driven to be serious. They're pretty underpowered and tiny cars for sure (especially pre 94), but they were designed to revive the idea of the classic British roadsters. Theres a reason why there's an entire Spec-Series of racing devoted to miatas and why they're probably one of the most popular track cars in the US. That being said, save yourself the grief and don't drive one of these in public.

Birdbrain

pilot
I really appreciate all of your responses, guys. Thank you. I'm also relieved to see such a variety of vehicles. I was expecting to get an answer along the lines of "get the most economy minded snorebox available" and you all have anything but that. There's plenty of awesome stuff here. At the moment I've parsed down my choices to a Ford Focus ST because it has good power, a nice standard transmission, and hatchback utility VS. a Chevy Malibu because it has a spacious interior, great styling, and nearly unbeatable gas mileage...but I'm leaning towards the ST...

Consider using the USAA Car Buying Service to a establish a haggle-free "no greater than" price. In many cases, you'll even be able to pay less than the USAA price.
+1 on the USAA car buying service, and I'd also recommend shopping a few different dealerships for similar vehicles, and asking them to give you their best prices, then sort of play them off each other until you get the best deal from one of them. I know you said new, but I'd at least consider buying something like two years old, that way you're not spending nearly as much on depreciation.
In all seriousness though, USAA car finder is pretty good. A smart idea for you would be a relatively affordable new car, or a good deal used car. If you're going to OCS in January, you should be eligible for your USAA Career Starter loan after you commission. You can take it for up to $25,000 dollars and its a pretty low interest rate (2.3%?), and use that to find yourself a solid ride for a bit.
Thanks a lot, that's great to know about the USAA car buying service and its starter loan.

Or a motorcycle, because thats what I did.
What motorcycle? I got my endorsement this summer but didn't really have the funds for a bike, which killed me because even putting around on the learner Rebel 250 was a blast!

Our lives are sweet, live them sweetly
That's a terrific quote. Mind if I use it?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe look at the Jeep Renegade. I’ve had one for a little over a year now. Really wanted a Wrangler but needed better gas mileage and wanted something a bit less expensive. Legit 4x4 in the Trailhawk, still gets good MPG (I’m averaging 28 over my commute). Fun to drive on-road. I drive around DC a fair bit and it’s a good urban assault vehicle too; it’s compact enough to park pretty much anywhere. And with the back seats down it has a surpring amount of cargo room.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For what its worth, the muscle cars I owned previously (Buick Grand National, AMG Merc) were the most fun - but ate me alive with maintenance. The SUV's I had were pretty good, in particular the old school, bulletproof 4.0 Jeep Cherokee I got upon winging. If you do get a sedan or a SUV, by all means make sure you get a trailer hitch with wiring installed - gives you flexibility in the future.

I really, really caution against motorcycles - especially before winging. One wreck, NPQ, and quite possibly there goes the rest of your career. The juice isn't worth the squeeze - especially with people texting and driving. (sold my Harley FatBoy 'bout a decade back)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m with @Randy Daytona on the bike, and speaking as someone who’s been riding for 12+ years; make it a winging present to yourself.
Just don’t drop it on the way out of the dealership and be the Object Lesson in Irony for a generation of instructors.

Birdbrain

pilot
I appreciate your advice, I'll be sure to save a bike for AW: After-Winging. As for Jeeps...I don't know if I'm a Jeepster at heart. I've driven a Wrangler and liked its offroad capability but I tend towards lighter sporty cars at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I appreciate your advice, I'll be sure to save a bike for AW: After-Winging. As for Jeeps...I don't know if I'm a Jeepster at heart. I've driven a Wrangler and liked its offroad capability but I tend towards lighter sporty cars at the moment. Maybe sometime in the future.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention a couple of ways to save on automotive expenses. Many of the grocery stores will give you up to $1 per gallon discount if you collect fuel points, likewise AMEX Blue Cash Preferred will give you up to 6% cash back on groceries. Between the two, we average about $1000 per year in savings.

GroundPounder

I’m with @Randy Daytona on the bike, and speaking as someone who’s been riding for 12+ years; make it a winging present to yourself.
Just don’t drop it on the way out of the dealership and be the Object Lesson in Irony for a generation of instructors.

Not to sound like old man, Cop Kill Joy, but I agree on waiting for the bike. I rode police motors early in my career, but would not now. Very few people are paying attention to other cars, much less motorcycles. I've also worked several fatality wrecks with motorcycles with less than 100 miles and on dealer drive out tags.

It's a lot to risk for the fun involved. I'm all for people doing what they want, if riding is it, go for it. It's just a big risk.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Not to sound like old man, Cop Kill Joy, but I agree on waiting for the bike. I rode police motors early in my career, but would not now. Very few people are paying attention to other cars, much less motorcycles. I've also worked several fatality wrecks with motorcycles with less than 100 miles and on dealer drive out tags.

It's a lot to risk for the fun involved. I'm all for people doing what they want, if riding is it, go for it. It's just a big risk.
Just about everyone I know who’s ever owned a bike has crashed it at some point. Some have walked away with scratches while others have had to have major surgery and down time. Definitely a high risk for the reward.

GroundPounder

Just about everyone I know who’s ever owned a bike has crashed it at some point. Some have walked away with scratches while others have had to have major surgery and down time. Definitely a high risk for the reward.

Count me in that club, wrecked on duty once on a HD FXRP , and before that as a moron 2nd Lt. on Victory Dive just outside Ft. Benning main gate. Did not learn lesson either time.

A few weeks ago I jumped on one of our Kawasaki bikes and worked with the guys on our motor squad during Veteran's Day Parade. It was fun, but I'd forgotten how much attention you have to pay to other cars pulling and backing out into your path. With a car, it's just some mangled metal, on a bike it's you that gets mangled.

exNavyOffRec

A friend of mine who has talk motorcycle safety for years has said it is not if you go down, it is when you go down. Just earlier this year I saw one of the guys (40+ year rider) from the VFW leaving a parking lot, and as he made a turn the rear wheel kicked out from under him and he went down, his bike has some minor damage but he was fine since he had on all the safety gear.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I'd think twice about using the career starter loan for your car. Last I checked, it was 2.99%, which you should be able to beat for a new car if you shop around for financing. NFCU says as low as 1.99% for 36 months.

Birdbrain

pilot
I would be remiss if I didn't mention a couple of ways to save on automotive expenses. Many of the grocery stores will give you up to $1 per gallon discount if you collect fuel points, likewise AMEX Blue Cash Preferred will give you up to 6% cash back on groceries. Between the two, we average about $1000 per year in savings.
Thank you, I was completely unaware of that system. $1000 is nothing to sneeze at, that's quite the savings.

I'd think twice about using the career starter loan for your car. Last I checked, it was 2.99%, which you should be able to beat for a new car if you shop around for financing. NFCU says as low as 1.99% for 36 months.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll do some shopping around for the auto payments. Lord knows I can't afford not to.