• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as a foreign military film- how does it rate vs Das Boot?

Excellent movie, I strongly preferred it to Das Boot (which I have not seen in a long while). Despite being set in WW2, it felt medieval. Also, just as John Williams' score from Jaws was the prelude to blood, the music here had the same effect (in this case, Wagner's Tannhauser overture.). The movie also was able to show the foreboding Soviet T-34 crews must have felt when facing the massive Tiger tank. Well worth 2 hours - whole movie is on YouTube.

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Not Netflix but Amazon Prime...The Expanse. Great science fiction, heavy on the science side. Superb acting and story telling, along with amazing production and effects.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
This looks pretty good. Starting tomorrow (Sunday) night on SyFy: Nightflyers which is based on a novel by George R.R. Martin

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Lancaster, a poignant 12 minute short film dedicated to the 125,000 men who served in Bomber Command - and the 55,000 who did not return.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Caught this in the NYT today. Amazing how they made the old video come to life - will screen in movie theaters Dec 17 and Dec 27.

How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New
The director restored archival combat film to pristine clarity for “They Shall Not Grow Old.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/movies/peter-jackson-war-movie.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The documentary, which will screen nationwide Dec. 17 and Dec. 27,concentrates on the experiences of British soldiers as revealed in footage from the archives of the Imperial War Museum. Jackson and his team have digitally restored the footage, adjusted its frame rate, colorized it and converted it to 3-D. They chose not to add a host or title cards. Instead, veterans of the war “narrate” — that is, the filmmakers culled their commentary from hundreds of hours of BBC interviews recorded in the 1960s and ’70s.

The result is a transformation that is nothing less than visually astonishing.

http://www.theyshallnotgrowold.movie/

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Das Boot the movie was turned into a miniseries. It'll be airing on Hulu in the States, but it's already out elsewhere. Highly recommend. Only 8 episodes and goes quick. A mix of German/English/French, with subtitles.

Deutschland 86 is airing on Sundance, a sequel to Deutschland 83. Both miniseries, 80s Cold War spy stuff. Again, German w/ subtitles, but really good.

Bodyguard on Netflix was good, although the ending seemed a bit off.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Caught this in the NYT today. Amazing how they made the old video come to life - will screen in movie theaters Dec 17 and Dec 27.

How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New
The director restored archival combat film to pristine clarity for “They Shall Not Grow Old.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/movies/peter-jackson-war-movie.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The documentary, which will screen nationwide Dec. 17 and Dec. 27,concentrates on the experiences of British soldiers as revealed in footage from the archives of the Imperial War Museum. Jackson and his team have digitally restored the footage, adjusted its frame rate, colorized it and converted it to 3-D. They chose not to add a host or title cards. Instead, veterans of the war “narrate” — that is, the filmmakers culled their commentary from hundreds of hours of BBC interviews recorded in the 1960s and ’70s.

The result is a transformation that is nothing less than visually astonishing.

http://www.theyshallnotgrowold.movie/
Anyone make it to one of the screenings? I wasn't able to.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Anyone make it to one of the screenings? I wasn't able to.
Yep, and it was great, a really unique movie. I felt like I was watching ghosts. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. I hope they change their minds and screen it some more times in North America. Pro tip: for this kind of movie, buy your tickets online. A lot of the screenings were sold out (as I found out back on the 10th, a few minutes before showtime).