• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Need advice on requesting different ship date.

I was selected for NFO at the most recent board with a tentative ship date of November.

I am a high school science teacher and some issues within the district and my school itself have made me realize that November is too soon. My recruiter told me not to put anything in the “unavailable until” box, but I now realize I should have, my fault. Issues include:

1. Teacher shortage district wide, roughly 140 at the start of the school year last week. I didn’t know of this until after my package was submitted.
  2. My school has been unable to hire an empty science position, let alone a replacement for myself.
  3. I am the only person qualified at my school to teach the certain upper level chemistry courses that I do (Diploma Programme level for those familiar with IB)
  4. Leaving close to 200 students with no teacher for months. Class sizes are already 40+

My recruiter says I am free to write a letter and request a new date. My principal is also writing a letter as well.

My hope is for after December, as mid-year college graduates are always trying to get hired at schools, and so a better chance to find my replacement. My principal understands that if I get an extension, no matter how long, I MUST go at that time.

While I am excited to go to OCS and begin this next chapter, I also sense of duty towards my school and mainly my students. I would hate to leave them without a teacher for months. However, should my request get rejected, I will report in November of course.

Does anyone have advice as to how to go about this letter? Anyone been through something similar?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Morally and ethically, what you're asking for is legitimate and admirable.

I can't help you any with the letter; I've never worked in recruiting and the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be a "to whom it may concern" letter, but that advice would be even less than useful. You're not the first person nor the last to have an important, emergent issue right before your ship date. There are a few people on here with a lot of recruiting experience and you certainly put this question in the right place on these forums. They ought to have some actionable advice.

exNavyOffRec

In most cases I would say you go when you are told or don't go, however in this case I say you present a compelling argument to get pushed out.

Now one thing you need to understand is don't leaving anything blank in the military, out of the probably hundreds of application I either submitted or reviewed for other OR's I NEVER left the date available box empty.

In military procedure manuals if a page is blank it will say "page intentionally left blank" to leave no doubt that it was indeed intentionally left blank.