• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need a place to stay in Athens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrcoffee

If you are headed this way and are looking for an apartment, try the Sussex Club. I'm paying 410 a month for a one bedroom with water and gas included. There is also a swimming pool and an okay gym, (lots of cardio and nautilus-ish machines, no freeweights) and you are eight to nine minutes away from the main gate and 15 from downtown, depending on traffic, temperature and pressure density. Shoot me a message at frank.megna.2004@usmma.edu if you want to know more.

Full disclosure: I do get a slight bounty if you mention my name when you sign the lease, but: A)I live there so it can't be that bad B) I'm a wee man who would be defenseless to any pumeling recieved by an irate patron of the Sussex Club.

P.S. Athens is awesome and you will have a great time here. As long as you can sign your name, add and subtract you are in the running for being top in your class, it really is that easy. If you have any questions at all about the area or the BQC, feel free to ask.

navsup

BDCP Supply
I have a ton of questions about the BQC. On the NSCS site it says that at the end of the class, a list of billets will be provided but not the ships name.

If that is how it works, then how do you get any input on which duty station you want? I know that i really want west coast, and a carrier, but I'm not sure of my chances of getting exactly what i want.

Also im not sure which billet i would like best, i.e. disbursing, sales, food service.

I'm looking forward to getting there. I will be in either the january or april class 2006.

Have you seen the base housing? I'm married and I think we will try to get that, if the waiting lists isnt too long.

Is it pretty much a 7am-4pm class day? And what exactly does the watch duty at NSCS include

mrcoffee

Navsup:

Basically, BQC works like this:

-It lasts about four and a half months, with class starting around 08 and ending at 1100, then starting back up again at 1300 and going until 1600. They can cut short your lunch or keep you longer if the discussion needs it, but that'll probably only happen a handfull of times.

-Watch duty means quarterdeck watch, which is another way of saying phone *****. It lasts four hours, and with four watch sections it is divided up so that each section covers a day monday through thursday with a section taking the whole friday through sunday watchbill. 08-1600 watches are covered by enlisted. Depending on the size of your class, you might have it alot, you might not. We have 35 in our class, so we have been having it fairly regularly. The next class has 80, so they decidely will not.

-You start to think about your orders about halfway through. You will have something called an OLQ board (officer like qualities) where they yell questions at you for 20 minutes and then see how you handle it. That and your grades decide your class standing, which helps where you go. You pick a coast and a type, and they go from there. Somewhere on BuPers there is a rough list of when everyone rotates in the Supply Community, so you can probably guestimate what is available, even a year ahead. For my class there are like 8 subs and like 10 big decks (LHD's or CVN's) which is typically an unGodly number of both. As a new chop, you will go to sea, with most going to the CruDes Navy.

-I don't know much about base housing, other than its small (two bedroom townhouses) but very close to the classrooms. Then again, almost everything in Athens is not more that 15 minutes away.

-Disbo vs FSO, well that's up to you. Disbo is the guy with all the accountability; you have to be dead on in your money counts or else its out of your pocket. Food Service is always in the spotlight, since everyone is going to pass through at least once. Disbo is more low key, everyone will know the FSO, which can be good or bad. Still can't decide? Don't worry, you do both on a sub or MCM.

Status
Not open for further replies.