• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy VS Air Force Helicopter Pilot

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Uh...did the Soviet/Russian Navy put fixed wing aviators on CRUDES and frigates to run helo detachments?

Air Det DH here is DDG/FFG XO. And his officer are all AMDOs. Helo Det doesn't contain any maintenance officer, just pilots and navs. That is why I'm asking

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just so we can end this early...

The "Air Boss" on a CRUDES, which I always thought was a dumb name, is not attached to the ship. He, along with the entire "aviation department" (read: Air DET), are TAD to the ship while underway. Otherwise they're part of a helicopter squadron that's completely independent of the ship.

I swear we did this before...

Ventus

Weather Guesser
pilot
I'm curious to where the Navy does their High Altitude/Elevation helicopter training.
I know the Army has a "power school" in Eagle, CO. However, I also know that a lot of that training is Unit Specific. So for example, the Nevada Army National Guard fly those conditions every time they fly so they don't really need to go to power school.

I'm wondering where the Navy SAR like Fallon and Whidbey Island pilots that fly up in the mountains get their training from.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I'm curious to where the Navy does their High Altitude/Elevation helicopter training.
I know the Army has a "power school" in Eagle, CO. However, I also know that a lot of that training is Unit Specific. So for example, the Nevada Army National Guard fly those conditions every time they fly so they don't really need to go to power school.

I'm wondering where the Navy SAR like Fallon and Whidbey Island pilots that fly up in the mountains get their training from.
NAWDC N8 runs the mountain flying school. Station SAR and a few fleet crews go through. I’ve heard of those instructors or station SAR pilots getting opportunities to go to HAATS or a course in Canada (Topflight?)—not sure how often that occurred.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I’ve heard of those instructors or station SAR pilots getting opportunities to go to HAATS or a course in Canada

The Reserves used to have an annual quota to go there, but for some reason it dried up right before I came back from a deployment. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
NAWDC N8 runs the mountain flying school. Station SAR and a few fleet crews go through. I’ve heard of those instructors or station SAR pilots getting opportunities to go to HAATS or a course in Canada (Topflight?)—not sure how often that occurred.

Yeah, have a former CO who did that Army course and if I recall, included flying in Western Canada. Fuzzy memory, but I think his selection was largely luck of the draw and good timing within his squadron.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've got a couple 85 friends that got to go to HAATS a few years ago.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
The four mountain flying schools I know of and have had friends attend:

USN - NAWDC N8 out of Fallon
USA - HAATS, Colorado National Guard
Canadian Mountain flying school (I don't remember if it was their military or civilian)
Italian Mountain flying school - If my memory is correct it was their SAR unit who also hosts the school.

For the Navy all (or most) of the station SAR pilots go through it as well as all of the SWTI's. In addition each HSC squadron can send a couple of pilots each year. The USAF sends people to HAATS on the regular and occasionally through the Canadian or Italian course.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I HIGHLY recommend HAATS. If for no other reason than it's beautiful. Oh and a trip to the Coors brewery is kind of mandatory, sort of like going to the Yuengling brewery if you go to EAATS. My favorite landing was the 11,000' saddle shown in the last three pictures. Just enough room for your rotors on either side and just enough length MLG to TLG.

Attachments

• Leadville2.jpg
    Leadville2.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 29
  • HAATS Mountain Top1.jpg
    HAATS Mountain Top1.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Coors.jpg
    Coors.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DomeSaddleRight.jpg
    DomeSaddleRight.jpg