• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve Officer letter of recommendation format

KungFu

Wasn't sure if this belongs in this thread or the Navy Officer thread. I am applying to be a navy reserve officer. I have my letter of recommendations drafted but I don't know the format to put it in. I can't find anywhere on the internet a good format. I figure there is a from, to, subject type fields but in what order, and what is the precise info that goes there. There might even be a ref line as well. Like I said, I just don't know. Anyone know the official format, I would love to hear.

KungFu

yes. I pretty much write the draft and they can choose to do what ever they want to it. Only 1 of the letters is to someone in the military. I would like to have it in the correct format before I submit it to him. Not sure if the format for active navy officer and reserve navy officer letter of recommendation is different.

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
For the format, I would use the Navy Correspondance Manual (SECNAVINST 5216.5) which can be located at:
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/e61dd1ee0db8538985256ccc005476e8/cca088f64cbfb1588525721000672257/$FILE/SECNAVINST%205216.5D.pdf
Reference particularly the first chapter, which has general tips, as well as Figure 2-1, "Standard Letter". This is the format that I have always used for me/my sailors.
I've always written my own letters of recommendation too, with the understanding that if the person particularly agreed with it, they would add a hand-written note on the bottom containing their personal comments. Otherwise, it would be forwarded as-is.

KungFu

For the format, I would use the Navy Correspondance Manual (SECNAVINST 5216.5) which can be located at:
http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/e61dd1ee0db8538985256ccc005476e8/cca088f64cbfb1588525721000672257/$FILE/SECNAVINST%205216.5D.pdf
Reference particularly the first chapter, which has general tips, as well as Figure 2-1, "Standard Letter". This is the format that I have always used for me/my sailors.
I've always written my own letters of recommendation too, with the understanding that if the person particularly agreed with it, they would add a hand-written note on the bottom containing their personal comments. Otherwise, it would be forwarded as-is.

Is the format the same for active and reserve packages? I always wonder if you refference something different when doing a LoR for reserve office.

JKD

Active and reserve recruiting command merged - the format should be the same. If you are getting the letter from a current officer, the admin department will tweak the format when they give it a serial number.

Mine were standard TO/FROM letters (on command letterhead)