• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

navy prk

smash28

Anyone have an idea on how long the Navy PRK waitlist is these days? I'm enlisted that is about to put in a package. I planned on getting prk done before ocs, but now that I found out that ocs is moving to RI, I am trying to get to ocs while its still in Pcola(not a fan of the cold).
I have heard that it is roughly 6 months for enlisted w/ no job need...but would they put me on a higher tier since I will be going NFO(I dont need it, but it definitely wouldnt be a bad thing for the job) Thanks

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
It's very short because the navy is soon going to switch to LASIK - at least that's the plan. LASIK should be approved fairly soon, they have a test group of some 60 pilots right now who have or will be getting it. I don't know when it'll be available for the common masses. Several major hospitals now have the machine to do it.

The downtime for PRK is MUCH longer now, up to six months.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
The down time is longer now? I was med down for 30 days when I had my PRK.

It used to be 30 days. When i found out i was a good candidate for PRK it was 30 days but my command didn't want me to be down for that long. When i talked to the doc about it last month he said it was longer now, 6mo, and few commands, if any were allowing their guys to do it.

smash28

Would you suggest going ahead and getting PRK done before I go to ocs, or should I wait for LASIK. Is LASIK going to be that much better? It would also mean I wouldnt be getting it done for awhile as ocs/nfo school/waiting for when my new command is ready and able to send me etc.

PropStop

pilot
Contributor
From what i understand PRK isn't fun. You'll be hurting for a few weeks in some cases. The actual reshaping of the eye is the same it's just how they get through the protective layer of skin that differs between the two methods. The recovery time is much shorter with LASIK.

You can ask your command if they'll allow you to get PRK, you just have to route a chit (talk to your doc first). If they are cool with it I bet you'll not have to wait long for the procedure. If you want LASIK it could be some time before you'd be very high on the waiting list (when that list is populated).

As to if LASIK is better, well, there are a few threads about that debate. Based on pure recovery time, I'd say yes, it is. Check out those threads and you'll find out lots more info.