• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot vs. Career in Business

pmd11

I’m hoping there are people in this community that have been in a similar situation that would be willing to share their insights as I did not come across this exact topic in the forums.

I wanted to apply to the Navy pilot program fresh out of college; however, a shoulder surgery delayed my plans. Instead, I started a career in investment banking and I believe I have performed relatively well so far in my short career, but have a long way to go and a lot to learn. Although I enjoy some aspects of business, I have not been able to acclimate to a desk job and I find the work slightly boring and unfulfilling. In addition, I have always had the urge to contribute to a cause larger than myself and to do something “more” than chase money and status. Not sure if these points are salient, but I have a type A+ personality and would say that I enjoy performing in leadership positions.

I’m now 25 and in good health. I applied to the Navy pilot program and was recently informed that I’ve been accepted and have the opportunity to ship out to OCS.

I have now reached a fork in the road, and must make a decision as to which way to go. Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? If so, how did you think through your options and decide which way to go? I also welcome opinions from people out there with more general life experience who enjoy giving advice to those of us less experienced in life.

Although I’m excited and humbled by the opportunity to start the journey to become a pilot, I’m having a hard time comprehending such a massive endeavor.

Thanks everyone.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Although I enjoy some aspects of business, I have not been able to acclimate to a desk job and I find the work slightly boring and unfulfilling. In addition, I have always had the urge to contribute to a cause larger than myself and to do something “more” than chase money and status...

I think you've answered your own question.

umdrake

The board even accepted you and you did all that work to get your package submitted. You should go for it

You wouldn't have done all that if you didn't want to do it. You're unhappy with current job and the navy can let you do something meaningful.

At least you know you don't like your current job so being a pilot may be something that you will really enjoy. You may not like being a navy pilot but you never know unless you try.

pelexecute

pilot
None
How many movies have been made about being in business (which don’t involve a bank robbery or something to that effect)?

Judge Q

Judging You
Can we count all 201 episodes of The Office as a separate miniature movie? (Though the humor there largely revolved around life in an office sucking)

So Wolf of Wall Street, Pretty Woman, Office Space and The Office x201, that's 204 so far.