• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy paid PRK

Beefalo

My command is going to offer PRK through a local Naval hospital. However one of the prereqs was -1.00 to -7.00 myopia. I am -7 according to my civilian doctor who I use for contacts but my Navy prescription is -7.75. Ive only met 1 person in the Navy who has worse eyes then I do. Does anyone know if a waiver can be applied or am I stuck using a civilian doc?

If I go the civilian route can I still apply for a waiver for SNA or SNFO even though my pre surgery myopia is really bad? Thanks

Cordespc

None
Contributor
If the prereq really states -1.00 to -7.00 only (I haven't read into it), then you should get tested, and re-tested until you fit those boundaries, if possible. As for pre-operative myopia, I do not think NOMI gives a damn, they are more concerned with your post-operative vision. If you do indeed have to go to a civilian doc for your PRK (which is where all the civilian OCS applicants had their's done), it should be fine for you to apply for a waiver.

-Paul

Beefalo

Good to know. If I dont fit the regs ill ask the Navy doctor if a waiver is possible once I go in for my annual eye exam.

pdx

HSM Pilot
As for pre-operative myopia, I do not think NOMI gives a damn, they are more concerned with your post-operative vision.

True. There is no pre-op limit for waivers. If the docs won't perform the operation with greater than -7.00, that is due to their own regs and professional judgement, not NAMI's.

AppleCello

I could be off on this, But i Think i have seen -8.00 as an outer limit for theoretical PRK candidates. THere are more factors involved in assessing whether or not you are a good candidate for the surgery, but I dont THINK that a -7.00 disqualifies you. read the regs, talk to the docs and plan the best route to take based on the particulars of your situation.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
True. There is no pre-op limit for waivers.

I think the limit is +/- 8.00. That's the vision limit for NFO, and I was looking into getting PRK to lat xfer to NFO when I read something saying that you must be within those limits pre-op for PRK to qualify you. In other words, people get PRK to be eligilbe for pilot, but if you're outside the NFO limits, all the PRK in the world cannot save you.

Maybe something's changed, not sure though. (I was -9.00, so since I wasn't going to be flying, I said F it, and got Lasik)

pdx

HSM Pilot
I think the limit is +/- 8.00. That's the vision limit for NFO, and I was looking into getting PRK to lat xfer to NFO when I read something saying that you must be within those limits pre-op for PRK to qualify you. In other words, people get PRK to be eligilbe for pilot, but if you're outside the NFO limits, all the PRK in the world cannot save you.

Maybe something's changed, not sure though. (I was -9.00, so since I wasn't going to be flying, I said F it, and got Lasik)

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology.pdf

I re-read the waiver guide, and I did miss something. There is no pre-op refractive limit for designated aviators, but there is one for applicants.

Conventional PRK: -8.00 to +3.00 total diopters sphere, 3.00 cylinder, and 3.50 anisometropia.

Applicants always have stricter guidelines. It is worth noting that the minimum time to wait after PRK for applicants is six months. I would print out the ophthalmology guide, read it, and take it with you to any doctor you see.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Also, just so you know... your contact and glasses prescription will not be the same. I have a -4.00 on glasses and -4.75 on contacts, same eye doc, same visit. Just due to how close the lens is to your eye.