• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS SWO

jdmurray

Hey all, I currently talked with a Navy Officer recruiter about commissioning and becoming a PAO. Was told the position is overmanned and highly sought out, he recommended I consider SWO since the Navy is heavily recruiting in this rate. I’m currently getting my Masters & have an undergraduate degree in Marketing & two minors in sociology and professional writing. I thought my Masters GPA would outweigh my subpar undergrad GPA but was told they combine the two when taking candidates into consideration. I currently don’t know what my Masters GPA will be until graduation but it should top out around a 3.0 or 3.1. My undergraduate GPA was a 2.259 which is very low but my workload was immense playing collegiate basketball & balancing school. With that being said and the fact they weigh both GPA together would it make a difference finishing my second Masters, would they weigh all 3 together?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey all, I currently talked with a Navy Officer recruiter about commissioning and becoming a PAO. Was told the position is overmanned and highly sought out, he recommended I consider SWO since the Navy is heavily recruiting in this rate. I’m currently getting my Masters & have an undergraduate degree in Marketing & two minors in sociology and professional writing. I thought my Masters GPA would outweigh my subpar undergrad GPA but was told they combine the two when taking candidates into consideration. I currently don’t know what my Masters GPA will be until graduation but it should top out around a 3.0 or 3.1. My undergraduate GPA was a 2.259 which is very low but my workload was immense playing collegiate basketball & balancing school. With that being said and the fact they weigh both GPA together would it make a difference finishing my second Masters, would they weigh all 3 together?

All 3 will be weighed together, so your cumulative will probably be somewhere around a 2.5-ish.

I would highly recommend consider aviation whether it’s pilot or NFO. That will probably be your more realistic opportunity to apply and get selected as an officer.

Last edited:

jdmurray

All 3 will be weighed together, so your cumulative will probably be somewhere around a 2.5-ish.

I would highly recommend consider aviation whether it’s pilot or NFO. That will probably be your more realistic opportunity to apply and get selected as an officer.
Would that be realistically possible if it does
combine to around that 2.5ish range? I haven’t taken the OAR yet but with some studying I’m fairly sure I could get upper 50 low 60s, would that be competitive enough?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor

Am I to infer that Aviation has a lower GPA requirement than......SWO? ?

AULANI

Would that be realistically possible if it does
combine to around that 2.5ish range? I haven’t taken the OAR yet but with some studying I’m fairly sure I could get upper 50 low 60s, would that be competitive enough?
Bro, your GPA is killing you. Kill it on the OAR/ASTB and apply for pilot/NFO. That being said, we had a guy at my recruiting station while I was on OHARP get like a 68 and 9/9/9. He didn't get picked up for pilot but got CWO instead. He had something like a 2.3 GPA... go figure.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Bro, your GPA is killing you. Kill it on the OAR/ASTB and apply for pilot/NFO. That being said, we had a guy at my recruiting station while I was on OHARP get like a 68 and 9/9/9. He didn't get picked up for pilot but got CWO instead. He had something like a 2.3 GPA... go figure.

Are you sure? The PA requirement for CW is 2.8 and that’s only for exceptional candidates...

AULANI

Are you sure? The PA requirement for CW is 2.8 and that’s only for exceptional candidates...
Maybe it was 2.8, it was pretty low though. He came out of the testing room and I couldn't believe his score. He was like the Goodwill Hunting of our station. The LT in the shop was certain he'd be a shoo-in for pilot but then the board results came back and he didn't get selected.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Am I to infer that Aviation has a lower GPA requirement than......SWO? ?
Aviation types are stupider than other types...you should know this because you’re an Aviation type...BUT...maybe you don’t know this due to being stupider. No worries...I’m stupider too. ?

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Aviation types are stupider than other types...you should know this because you’re an Aviation type...BUT...maybe you don’t know this due to being stupider. No worries...I’m stupider too. ?

I mean, I had a low GPA, so maybe you're right. But it was in Aerospace Engineering and I smoked the ASTB, so perhaps not? All I know is the board seemed understanding of my prioritization of college girls over orbital mechanics homework.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I mean, I had a low GPA, so maybe you're right. But it was in Aerospace Engineering and I smoked the ASTB, so perhaps not? All I know is the board seemed understanding of my prioritization of ridiculously hot college girls over orbital mechanics homework.
Dang...I’m stupider than you. I had a low GPA (2.5)...in Geology (FUCKING GEOLOGY!)...AND I did NOT smoke the ASTB (or whatever the equivalent was called back in the 1980s). Also, I took the liberty of ‘adding to’ your last statement above. :D

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

SWO doesn't have bad recruiting numbers, in fact there have been several times over the past several years that SWO boards have been pushed or have held people from going to OCS due to too many SWO's.

Isn't that also affected by an immense number of accessions from NROTC, USNA, attrites, etc. being thrown into SWO? Given the context, it isn't surprising that SWO proboards for OCS would have that issue.