• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS SWO

exNavyOffRec

I am reading through the new PA for SWO and I am going to need 2 waivers. One for my age (I am about to be 29) and one for my service time (I hit 8 years next month). Are waivers viewed as a negative by the board members? Are my chances significantly lower submitting 2 waivers? Thanks in advance for the insight

It just depends on numbers, those waivers are less of a detractor than a legal waiver, apply and see what happens.

Lou94

What's the timeline for newly commissioned officers?

OCS - Newport, RI
BDOC - San Diego, CA or Norfolk, VA
Posting?

Will we be able to express a preference for BDOC? Such as, I'd rather be in Norfolk than San Diego. Also, when would I be able to move my family? BDOC? Or once I move to my posting?
I believe when you get orders that are PCS (permanent change of station) that you can move your family there, the next several months you will need to be flexible, make sure your family knows this.

Somewhat related to this, I have a question (was going through threads trying to find info or a good place to ask). I've received a 13 Feb 2022 OCS date for SWO. I am aware of BDOC, but my OR mentioned "SWO School" in Newport and implied I would attend that after OCS (ie stay in Newport). This didn't sound quite right to me, but I am new to all of this - are BDOC and "SWO School" the same thing? I've googled it but am still not sure. I know SWOS Command is in Newport, but BDOC is in either Norfolk or San Diego, correct?

Larick

None
Contributor
Somewhat related to this, I have a question (was going through threads trying to find info or a good place to ask). I've received a 13 Feb 2022 OCS date for SWO. I am aware of BDOC, but my OR mentioned "SWO School" in Newport and implied I would attend that after OCS (ie stay in Newport). This didn't sound quite right to me, but I am new to all of this - are BDOC and "SWO School" the same thing? I've googled it but am still not sure. I know SWOS Command is in Newport, but BDOC is in either Norfolk or San Diego, correct?

So BDOC is the schoolhouse for learning specifically DIVO fundamentals and shiphandling. They are in both Norfolk and San Diego. Typically, you'll go to the site closest to where your ship is stationed at. There might be those random times where someone goes to an opposite site, for example BDOC Norfolk for a ship in SD.

SWOS in Newport, now called SWSC aka "SWO School," is the main headquarters that oversees different training sites for SWOs, enlisted Sailors, and international partners around the world and also serves as a training site for engineering, shiphandling, navigation, combat systems, etc. all taught under one roof in Newport. BDOC is a subordinate training site that reports to SWSC. Depending on how long you stay a SWO, you'll be reporting to SWSC multiple times throughout your career.

Ultimately, your PCS orders from OCS will tell you where you are going to next. Those will be released a couple weeks before you graduate OCS. From what I can recall, you'll do BDOC, a billet specialty school (if you're lucky), JOOD in Newport, then report to your ship.

Last edited:

Lou94

So BDOC is the schoolhouse for learning specifically DIVO fundamentals and shiphandling. They are in both Norfolk and San Diego. Typically, you'll go to the site closest to where your ship is stationed at. There might be those random times where someone goes to an opposite site, for example BDOC Norfolk for a ship in SD.

SWOS in Newport, now called SWSC aka "SWO School," is the main headquarters that oversees different training sites for SWOs, enlisted Sailors, and international partners around the world and also serves as a training site for engineering, shiphandling, navigation, combat systems, etc. all taught under one roof in Newport. BDOC is a subordinate training site that reports to SWSC. Depending on how long you stay a SWO, you'll be reporting to SWSC multiple times throughout your career.

Ultimately, your PCS orders from OCS will tell you where you are going to next. Those will be released a couple weeks before you graduate OCS. From what I can recall, you'll do BDOC, a billet specialty school (if you're lucky), JOOD in Newport, then report to your ship.

This is all super helpful and interesting to read. I hadn’t heard about a possible billet specialty school. Thank you for the insight!

Ericackostaa

Do SWO's qualify 2nd class swimmer in OCS? I have a mentor telling me that isn't so. He attended OCS last year and is a SWO. any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

BOMR822

pilot
Do SWO's qualify 2nd class swimmer in OCS? I have a mentor telling me that isn't so. He attended OCS last year and is a SWO. any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
I seem to remember that we were told it was an option we could pursue in candio phase, but I can't think of anyone that ended up doing it.