• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS-First Salute

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In case anyone wanted updated information on all this.

1. You can do a “private commissioning” where a family member or prior service does your oath of office before graduation.

2. You cannot give $1 silver coins or any type of gifts to your chiefs/DIs for the first salutes. First salutes are still a thing at OCS. If it’s a first salute with family/ prior, you can do whatever you want.
2. Is this written in an instruction somewhere? Or is is “frowned upon”.
I’m pretty sure “gifts” are covered DOD wide under this instruction. https://dodsoco.ogc.osd.mil/ETHICS-TOPICS/Gifts/

johnboyA6E

None
that's a bummer to hear

one of my favorite pics is of me in front of the chapel at NPA receiving first salute for Gunny Woodring

at least they still allow it at USNA, usually underclass mids saluting the new Ensigns

Mouselovr

Contributor
that's a bummer to hear

one of my favorite pics is of me in front of the chapel at NPA receiving first salute for Gunny Woodring

at least they still allow it at USNA, usually underclass mids saluting the new Ensigns
You can still do a first salute and get a photo, you just can’t give them a coin.

Mouselovr

Contributor
F that. What are they going to do...throw it away?
The CO of the command changed shortly after I graduated who changed A LOT about OTCN.

When i was there, we were told from day 1 to NOT give them a coin so no one tried. They would have probably said thank you and handed it back.