• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Navy OCS Board Selection and Timeline to Report

dclarke19

Morning Everyone,

I am scheduled for the 4 May 2018 Intel/CW Boards. My recruiter has been a little vague, possibly unsure, of the next steps. I recently completely all of my paperwork, scored competitively on the OAR and provided three (3) Letters of Recommendation. However, when I asked my recruiter what I can do to prepare for the boards he told me nothing and he will be in touch with me shortly before 4 May. Additionally, he said that he was not aware of the timeline between being selected and reporting to Newport.

In the reading that I have done, it seems that some of the popular questions from the Board are: Strengths v Weaknesses, Why Navy, Why Officer, Tell us a bit about what you know about the Navy, Tell us a time where you had to lead a team over more experienced personnel, Conflict resolution experience. Are there any other questions that might pop-up?

Also, if selected, what is the timeline to report to Newport? I have seen that it is about 5 months after the board date, with the FINSEL letter provided the following month (therefore, I would report in October). Is that usually the case? I ask because I am getting married in late-September.

Thank you, all, for your help. I appreciate it.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I don’t have any answers for you, but it’s refreshing to see someone literate, articulate, and that has done their homework.

I’ve done the interviewing on a couple boards, you have hit a lot of the questions already. I’d also throw in “Why Intel?” and “What if you are offered another designator?”

Good luck!
Pickle

zachm5

Blue Angels Command LPO (Frontman)
The board is not a panel that you will sit before and answer questions. All those topics would be addressed in your application. Once you application is complete submit it before the deadline and then play the waiting game to see if you were selected.

As far as when you would ship if selected. That can vary! It’s all based on what designator you are selected for. They have different quotas for different designators. Aviation guys are shipping right away. I was selected to AMDO and SWO, and took AMDO as it was my first choice. I was told not to expect to ship until around NOV for either one of those designators.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
In the reading that I have done, it seems that some of the popular questions from the Board are: Strengths v Weaknesses, Why Navy, Why Officer, Tell us a bit about what you know about the Navy, Tell us a time where you had to lead a team over more experienced personnel, Conflict resolution experience. Are there any other questions that might pop-up?

There is no "interview" for your selection board. A panel looks at all your paperwork (application, LORs, etc.) and makes a decision without you actually being physically present. It's just like applying to a 4-year college all over again.

Also, if selected, what is the timeline to report to Newport? I have seen that it is about 5 months after the board date, with the FINSEL letter provided the following month (therefore, I would report in October). Is that usually the case? I ask because I am getting married in late-September.

Check out previous IWC boards and the final select purgatory thread to get a better idea for "timelines". To answer your question best... it honestly depends. Lastly, because you are getting married in September I really really hope you put your OCS availability date (page 1 of the APSR) AFTER the wedding...

dclarke19

I don’t have any answers for you, but it’s refreshing to see someone literate, articulate, and that has done their homework.

I’ve done the interviewing on a couple boards, you have hit a lot of the questions already. I’d also throw in “Why Intel?” and “What if you are offered another designator?”

Good luck!
Pickle
Thank you!

dclarke19

The board is not a panel that you will sit before and answer questions. All those topics would be addressed in your application. Once you application is complete submit it before the deadline and then play the waiting game to see if you were selected.

As far as when you would ship if selected. That can vary! It’s all based on what designator you are selected for. They have different quotas for different designators. Aviation guys are shipping right away. I was selected to AMDO and SWO, and took AMDO as it was my first choice. I was told not to expect to ship until around NOV for either one of those designators.
Great, thank you for the information.

Is there an interview portion for OCS?

dclarke19

There is no "interview" for your selection board. A panel looks at all your paperwork (application, LORs, etc.) and makes a decision without you actually being physically present. It's just like applying to a 4-year college all over again.

Check out previous IWC boards and the final select purgatory thread to get a better idea for "timelines". To answer your question best... it honestly depends. Lastly, because you are getting married in September I really really hope you put your OCS availability date (page 1 of the APSR) AFTER the wedding...
Thank you for the information. I will check out that thread!

exNavyOffRec

Morning Everyone,

I am scheduled for the 4 May 2018 Intel/CW Boards. My recruiter has been a little vague, possibly unsure, of the next steps. I recently completely all of my paperwork, scored competitively on the OAR and provided three (3) Letters of Recommendation. However, when I asked my recruiter what I can do to prepare for the boards he told me nothing and he will be in touch with me shortly before 4 May. Additionally, he said that he was not aware of the timeline between being selected and reporting to Newport.

Thank you, all, for your help. I appreciate it.

Steps:

1) Do you have a tech degree and high GPA? or at least a very high GPA with non-tech degree? If yes go to step 2, if no go to step 3.
2) Just apply.
3) Pick another designator such as SWO

dclarke19

Steps:

1) Do you have a tech degree and high GPA? or at least a very high GPA with non-tech degree? If yes go to step 2, if no go to step 3.
2) Just apply.
3) Pick another designator such as SWO

Yes. Undergrad GPA was 3.3 and Masters was a 4.0. I have been working in cybersecurity and have done intel analysis for the past 4 years.

My recruiter has submitted my package. I am trying to see what I can until 4 May, if anything.

Thank you!

exNavyOffRec

Yes. Undergrad GPA was 3.3 and Masters was a 4.0. I have been working in cybersecurity and have done intel analysis for the past 4 years.

My recruiter has submitted my package. I am trying to see what I can until 4 May, if anything.

Thank you!

That GPA will put your overall as average for those picked up, but often those with non-tech degrees have GPA's near perfect.

Remember that the selection rate for IWC is often about 10%, so it is poor shot anyway.