• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helo to Coast Guard Helo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdubs

pilot
How likely is it for a Navy Helo Pilot to transition to Coast Guard after the initial flgiht commitment is up? I assume it wouldn't be too hard considering that the Navy trains Coast Guard pilots. Also, does your Time in Service transfer as well, i.e. can you do 11 in the Navy, 9 in the Coast Guard and retire? Granted this is a long way off but it would be nice to know about if it is an option. Thanks.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I know it is easy for Army helo drivers to go Coastie, i had a neighbor in Corpus who did just that - and he hated life as a puddle pirate. He was a bit too....aggressive for them i guess you could say. I imagine that some of the coastie flying has got to be a good time though, biting holes in your seat with your butthole type flying. I don't see why you couldn't do a lateral transfer easy like.

time in service for officers does transfer. It may one day for enlisted too.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
It's pretty competitive now. The interservice xfer is easier for WOs, since they get promoted to ENS. However, the Coast Guard will not accept a xfer at higher than LTJG. So, by the time you're done with your Navy obligation, you'll be up for LCDR, then you take a demotion to LTJG to join the Coast Guard. Plus, the CG doesn't have an aviation bonus. You keep your time in service, but you're losing rank. However, the quality of life in the CG must be pretty good, since they have people beating down the doors, anyway.

mdubs

pilot
If you have to transfer before LTJG, would you apply for the xfer while still in Flight school? Or do you have to have wings before you put in a package?
Thanks

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
There is no way the Navy will let you go before your flt committment to it is up. You don't have to transfer BY Lt(jg), you BECOME a Lt(jg) if you are an O-2 or higher at the time of your transfer. If you want to go Coastie this badly, maybe you should apply with them from the get-go. Otherwise, plan on doing about 8 years Navy before you are eligible to transfer, IF you get selected. If you start off as a Coastie you'll be a senior LT by that time. If you were to go Navy, then do a transfer to the USCG, you're losing 6 years of seniority in terms of grade (though not "time in service"--you'll be an O-2 with 8 years for pay).

mdubs

pilot
I'm already Navy in Primary and I like it a lot, I was just wondering about options down the road. I guess it would be pretty stupid to xfer and have to go back to JG considering I'm getting close to it already. Thanks for the info sir, do you know how long the Navy Helo syllabus is? Thanks a lot.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
I finished up Primary on July 22.. during my stint, I had several IP's ask me the same question.

They weren't looking forward to going on a ship in a non-flying tour - can't blame 'em.

http://www.gocoastguard.com/dc/dcprograms/dca.htm

Best bet is to call the Coast Guard National (might be regional?) Recruiting Center in Arlington VA.

I've seen it done, many times.. as Enlisted, I was stationed at 3 Air Stations.. man.. it seemed anywhere from 30 to 40% of our Aviators at that time were from another service.. Army, Navy and Marines.. Most seemed Army, not sure why. Can't say I ever met a prior-Navy pilot no that I think of it. Knew a few prior-Marines, lotta prior Army.. can't say any prior-Navy.. hrm.

Don't give up hope.. may be tight now, but who knows down the road.. one of our Admirals said several months ago, "The airframe you learn to fly after flight school will probably not be the airframe you fly in your third tour" - ie the Coast Guard is trying to replace most/all aircraft over the next 10 years.. we'll see.

Good luck.

phrogdriver

pilot
Super Moderator
Switching to the USCG is definitely a possibility, but if he's already in the Navy, he'll have to serve his obligation to them first. It's pretty competitive, but if you do well in your assignments and get good recommendations, you might very well get lucky. 2 IPs from South Whiting that I know of have gone USCG in the last year or so, both Marines.

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
It's fairly competitive but it's also very possible.. just keep applying. Believe it or not, not everyone in the Coast Guard wants to fly.

Typically, it's about half and half.. give or take - OCS and Academy.

As I've said before, and I'm not proud of it, I was prior enlisted (10 years) when I went to OCS. Vision wouldn't allow me to apply. Did the PRK about 3 years after OCS, Military allowed PRK'ers to apply for flight school.. I was over the age limit by 2 years, already selected for O-3E (they dont like sending LT's), no degree (although like 70+ S/H of college credit), and I just went over 15 years of service this past April.. I was picked up on my first application.

Most people do get picked up provided they keep trying, to exceed age limit and have good evals/recommendations.

The only people I know that haven't got picked up are those that quit applying (ie gave up) or exceeded age limit but a tad too much.

We've historically been short pilots, but I think we're at billet strength now... I could be wrong.. I'm so out of the Coast Guard loop right now it's not funny.

Acoustix99

pilot
If you go back to being a JG, does it take you 2 years from the point you transfer to make LT again? Or what would the promotion possibilities be at that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.