• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVET reserve affiliation / resignation

nodropinufaka

Weird cause I know guys who affiliated 5+ years ago and were never tagged.

I think it’s all a matter of job and timing.

15 years ago when I was in the reserves it was a guarantee you were going to Iraq or Afghanistan

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Designator and rank matters a lot, if you are an O-4 13X5 you can bet on a mobilization within a year or two of the end of your deferment, it varies a bit more for O-5 but there is a steady requirement for reserve aviators that isn't likely to end soon.

SlickAg

pilot

15 years ago when I was in the reserves it was a guarantee you were going to Iraq or Afghanistan
If you're a non-flying 1315 it's almost a guarantee you'll get tagged with an IA as soon as your dwell is up.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I filled a log billet cause it had a JMD code for 1315. Previously was filled by an Army transpo officer, relieved by a former Rhino WSO.

The job had zip dot shit to do with aviation, but it did help to be able to have an immediate relationship to the pilots, aircrew, and loadmasters when I needed to bend JI/priority rules.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I filled a log billet cause it had a JMD code for 1315. Previously was filled by an Army transpo officer, relieved by a former Rhino WSO.

The job had zip dot shit to do with aviation, but it did help to be able to have an immediate relationship to the pilots, aircrew, and loadmasters when I needed to bend JI/priority rules.

There have only been one or two aviators that have been involuntarily mobilized Edit: [from my unit] to non-aviator jobs in the past 4 or so years, a few more have volunteered for non-aviator MOBs but that was their choice. The aviator jobs have actually needed aviation knowledges, some of them might be thankless but an aviator was needed to fill them.

So the Navy Reserve has gotten far better at matching many folks with the right billet from when I got MOB'd to a random billet almost a decade ago, I think they just need to dial the whole thing back a bit and see if they really need those billets to exist in the first place now.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I think they just need to dial the whole thing back a bit and see if they really need those billets to exist in the first place now.
The MOB machine is being abused.

Case in point... Since at least 2009 there have been multiple mobilizations on a yearly basis to PERS in the NMCMPS shop. Typically, ET's, IT's, and IP's with software and technical project management experience. Yes, NE coded mobilizations to freaking Millington. Year after year for at least a decade. These should be filled with active duty bodies. But no, why do what you are supposed to do when you can abuse the machine?

Ever known anyone whose MOB was cancelled at the last minute before they reported to the NOSC? Or how about a MOB that is cancelled in the middle of your training before your hit the sandbox?

Meanwhile, the fleet suffers with manning issues.

Last edited:

PEPfromage

Nursing the gout.
pilot
To completely hijack this thread, am I safe in assuming if I a) take the reserve affiliation bonus and b) am not in a hardware unit, I'm going to go someplace sandy and hot on year 2 plus zero days?

I understand accepting the reserve affiliation bonus (optional) as something that establishes when you could voluntarily have a change of heart and opt out of the reserves, provided you have not been notified of a legitimately-timed mob. The mob deferment period that you are eligible for - based on your reserve affiliation timing - is what dictates your mob eligibility window. Personally, I think the wise move as a potential 13xx considering a non-hardware unit would be to assume the mob soon after deferment trend continues. Important stuff to come to terms with before affiliating.