• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Flight Officer with Color Deficiency

Wonseok Yoon

Dear all,

I have some questions about becoming a naval flight officer.
First of all, my situation is like
- BA in Psychology from University of Michigan (Graduated 2014)
- GPA 3.456
- US Citizen (naturalized in April 2016)
- Already passed the medical examination at MEPs because I was an applicant for NUPOC
- For my medical record at MEPs, I failed the first color vision test with the numbers and dots but passed the second one with the machine, which is called "FALANT."
- Motivation: my father was a pilot and he served 30 years for Navy (but different country than US)
Even though I was majored in Psychology, I studied some of calculus and physics due to NUPOC preparation.

I never thought of becoming a pilot even though my father was a pilot because of my color deficient. So, I would like to ask you guys if Navy accepts people who passed the FALANT for pilots.

Thank you!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Some questions a recruiter may ask:
- in which country's navy did your dad serve?
- what have you done for the past 2 yrs? (jobs, etc.)
- when did you go to MEPS? If over 18 mo. ago, you may need to go again.

Wonseok Yoon

Dear Hair Warrior

- South Korea
- Job and study for NUPOC (took some additional courses such as Physics)
- It was a couple month ago like September 2016.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Ask your recruiter. He or she would know the answer.

Also, I would have a backup plan for NUPOC in case it doesn't work out. I once had an applicant, US born, Korean-born parents, get turned down because the security check found out a relative had ties to North Korea.

Wonseok Yoon

Ask your recruiter. He or she would know the answer.

Also, I would have a backup plan for NUPOC in case it doesn't work out. I once had an applicant, US born, Korean-born parents, get turned down because the security check found out a relative had ties to North Korea.
Thank you for the response.
Quick question. Who did check the security for your applicant? Naval Reactors or the ones who checks TS?
My plan B is Naval aviation and my mom becomes a US citizen as well.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
FALANT is acceptable for Naval Aviation. But, the AF doesn't take it in case you were wondering.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thank you for the response.
Quick question. Who did check the security for your applicant? Naval Reactors or the ones who checks TS?
My plan B is Naval aviation and my mom becomes a US citizen as well.

Naval reactors will do their own security check first before anything.

Wonseok Yoon

Naval reactors will do their own security check first before anything.
Thank you for your kind response!
For NUPOC, I took the NVIP tour and passed the phone interview and medical examination before they denied my application due to the security risk. I also got the flight tickets for DC interview but I was told that I didn't make it like 3 days before.
They said they normally do not accept people who becomes a US citizen less than a year. So I will try to resubmit on April 2017 (when I becomes a year). However, I am not sure if they will accept me at that time so I just want to prepare other position in Navy since I really want to join Navy.