• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator to take helm of Information Dominance Corps

das

Contributor
thumb_texasholdem.jpg

Navy Rear Adm. Kendall L. Card, selected for appointment to the rank of vice admiral and for assignment as deputy chief of naval operations for information dominance, N2/N6, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations/director of naval intelligence, Pentagon, Washington, D.C. Card is currently serving as director of concepts, strategies, and integration for information dominance, N2/N6F, Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.

Announcement

Biography

As VADM(sel) Card will also be Director of Naval Intelligence, this marks the first time in recent memory that a leader who is not an Intelligence Officer will be in this position.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
I wonder what he did during his career that prepared him for intel specifically. Sounds like he's had quite the career. Inspiring though, I'd like to work in intel and foreign affairs down the line myself. Good to see being in aviation doesn't necessarily preclude you from pursuing other specialties.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Leaders and managers don't necessarily need to have a technical background in the organization they're leading to be good leaders - SECDEF being a good example.

Brett

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Saw an email to the info Dom communitynthat said he's gonna get a board to quality for his IDC pin. The board members are gonna be the other IDC Flags...

Like that's gonna be a long board...

IRfly

None
Is it at the board that they issue the pocket protector and complimentary tickets to your nearest comic-con?

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Saw an email to the info Dom communitynthat said he's gonna get a board to quality for his IDC pin. The board members are gonna be the other IDC Flags...

Like that's gonna be a long board...

I see him pinning "Kick me" signs to the backs of each of the board members as they walk in the room, and then taking their milk money... :icon_tong

This is very analgous to the Air Force putting Dave Deptula (a longtime fighter guy - http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5213) in charge of the AF ISR organization a few years back. To say that was a bit of a shock at the time is an understatement; it's basically a statement that "We, the undersigned (aka Senior Service Leadership) don't believe you booger-eaters have a good handle on what today's warfighter intel requirements are really all about, so we're putting one of our own in place to right this ship." I thought Deptula did a good job, and had some pretty direct things to say as he was checking out: http://www.dodbuzz.com/2010/08/02/shake-up-af-acquisition/

What the Navy did in this case is, I believe, fundamentally the same. It should be very interesting to watch how this all shakes out, and how quickly he decides to re-set the sails after taking over.

KBayDog

You want true Information Dominance?

Provide our enemies with free NMCI software/hardware and "technical support." You'll immediately shut them down, bring about world peace, and be at the bar in time for Happy Hour.

aggieoarsman

pilot
Always good to see more proof that leaving the intel community was not the end of my intel life. One of the reasons I left SIGINT was for more 'command opportunities' but as soon as I left one of my former bosses earned his first star and was promoted to DIRINT and two others pinned on O-6 and were selected to command non-SIGINT commands. The pendulum may be swinging back...even a recent Director of National Intelligence was not a career intel officer. I questioned the sight of a few Aviators and NFOs when I ran into them in my comings and goings at Ft Meade; now that the shoe is on the other foot (or should I say "a different color" for all you Navy folks) I look forward to more of those opportunities in the future.

I think the favorite officer I ran into while deployed was an Army Major who described himself as "Dual branch" meaning he was BOTH an intel officer and an aviator. He retained both specialties and had career progression that could take him in either or both directions. I officially lost my 0206 MOS when I executed my orders to become a 7599 (based on how they treat us in the training command that was not all I lost when I became a 7599, but the discussion of the reindeer games associated with returning to the training command an going through flight school as an O-3 is a topic for another time...)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I wonder what he did during his career that prepared him for intel specifically. Sounds like he's had quite the career. Inspiring though, I'd like to work in intel and foreign affairs down the line myself. Good to see being in aviation doesn't necessarily preclude you from pursuing other specialties.
Here you go: commander, task forces 51/58/59/151/158, Manama, Bahrain

BTW, those were all concurrent. (Though 58 was disestablished once CP became a coalition effort under 151.)

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Dude, they don't mess with flight school, let's not mess with their, ehem, methods...