• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviator Command

jpotter1996

I’m in the process of becoming a Naval Aviator. I’ve heard that most officers are in command of 10-20 troops right out of OCS. Is this true of aviators? What type of command opportunities can an Aviator expect to encounter over his career?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There’s a difference between leading troops, which you’ll do as an Aviator in your first squadron, and command, which is usually done by a select group of O5 and above.

Mos

None
The first 1 - 2 years, you're not in charge of anybody. You're basically a student, learning fundamentals of flying. You don't lead people until you're a few months into your first sea tour with an operational squadron.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I’m in the process of becoming a Naval Aviator. I’ve heard that most officers are in command of 10-20 troops right out of OCS. Is this true of aviators? What type of command opportunities can an Aviator expect to encounter over his career?
If you stand out and do well in OCS, you may be selected even for leadership even prior to that. Only the top performers earn the right to become Candidate Officers and lead other Officer Candidates during the final weeks of OCS. Becoming a Candidate Officer taps you early for the Lead Ensign job at API.

Sonog

pilot
If you stand out and do well in OCS, you may be selected even for leadership even prior to that. Only the top performers earn the right to become Candidate Officers and lead other Officer Candidates during the final weeks of OCS. Becoming a Candidate Officer taps you early for the Lead Ensign job at API.

This is brilliance

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

You speak the truth. Sustained superior performance is the key to command. If you look at past board performance, the best indicator of command potential is API Lead Ensign. I think it approaches 100% selection rate. It really opens a lot of doors for your career that regular folks just don't understand.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Somebody please tell me that this fine tradition has continued now that I'm retired and I no longer have a navy.mil address to receive the latest viral email from the latest "that guy." The going rate for these things–the API lead ensign, princess Melanie, the kid who emailed PERS43 about why he deserved to select VR out of primary, and one or two more I've forgotten about–seemed to be about once every two to three years.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They’re still out there. There was a guy a few years ago that didn’t like that he got an exped Growler squadron (vs CVW squadron) out of the RAG. He complained pretty emphatically to the RAG CO ( who himself was an exped CO), then when he didn’t like his CO’s answer, went VFR direct to the CDRE.

Cue The Rolling Stones.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
They’re still out there. There was a guy a few years ago that didn’t like that he got an exped Growler squadron (vs CVW squadron) out of the RAG. He complained pretty emphatically to the RAG CO ( who himself was an exped CO), then when he didn’t like his CO’s answer, went VFR direct to the CDRE.

Cue The Rolling Stones.

Was this "guy's" name Brett?