• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Aviation tradition in pilot training

HuggyU2

None
So, apparently there was a Winging last night at Meridian. I found out due to a visit to the liquor store to pick up supplies for Cinco de Drinko. The guys at the store said they had a big sales day. I got the impression that the SNA's were getting their IP's bottles of whatever they liked.
So, what are the traditions involved?
In AF pilot training, when you solo the aircraft, you get your IP a bottle, usually within a couple of days.
In Naval Aviation, do you wait until you graduate, and get a bottle for your On Wing (is that the term?)? Who else gets one? Is it all done on the day of the Winging?
Just curious.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
We did the tie cutting in primary after your first solo, I bought my on-wing a bottle after my final primary flight, he was the IP for my flight. In advanced the bottles we bought were for our LSO after initial CQ, for the various beta you make with um about your CQ performance.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
JoshDavid speaks the truth. There are bets during CQ evolutions, that Paddles generally end up winning. Things like no bolters, fair or better first hook down pass, etc. As for on-wing, that was a primary thing......you sort of have an onwing for the first few fam flights in -45's, but it isn't something that they continue through the rest of the program.

phrogpilot73

When I went through, I gave a bottle to my own wing (since he hardly ever drinks, I think he still has the bottle). I also gave a bottle to my own wing in advanced HTs, but not until I completed...

HuggyU2

None
Thanks.
I thought "on wing" only referred to IP that does your formation solo, but now I gather it is basically your "assigned IP".
What's the tie cutting ritual in primary?

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
All above is true. The phenomenon that you experienced though, was just a normal buy for a winging in Meridian. My good friend was in charge of the alcohol for that party. It is a staggering amount of alcohol, but we spend 53 weeks building our tolerance for that one night. Meridian, Mississippi is the ideal training environment.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Your onwing in Primary usually does all your Fam flights with you. He is around to see all the stupid shit you do. When you solo, there is a tie-cutting ceremony where he cuts your tie for successfully flying the aircraft solo. Typically you buy your onwing a bottle and he outs you in front of the squadron gathering. They hear all the dumb stuff you did and you get to share stories about your onwing.

In advanced, it's much more informal.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Thanks.
I thought "on wing" only referred to IP that does your formation solo, but now I gather it is basically your "assigned IP".

Good times and beer! You have Pres and a Vice, ask permission to address the court. Tell a funny story about your on wing. On wing tells a bit about you. Pay fines (because you weren't funny enough), get certificate and a mug. On Wing pulls out a huge knife (think Crocodile Dundee) and cuts your tie off of you.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Thanks.

The onwing in primary is the instructor that you fly most of your familiarization flights with prior to your first solo. You also get an onwing in jet advanced but there are only 10 fams before you check/solo so it's not such a big deal.

In primary the tie cutting happens after your first solo and *suppossedly* comes from the days of the yellow peril and silk scarves. When you jacking something away in the front cockpit the ip could tug on your scarf for whatever reason. The tie cutting *supposedly* signifies the IP cutting your scarf short to where you're ready to fly without his gentle guidance choking your ass.

It's also a great time to get drunk at work and tell stories.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Thanks.

That would make sense, but we don't use it that way. Primary formation solos are student-student with an instructor observing from another plane (at least they were in VT-2 when I went through, different squadrons do things differently and things may have changed). Your on-wing is just the IP you fly a bunch of pre-solo FAMs with. As the other guys have said, in the jet pipeline, most student purchases of alcohol for IPs are for LSOs after undergrad CQ.

Tie-cuttings vary squadron to squadron, I think, but for us it was students and instructors telling funny (and largely untrue or at least exaggerated) stories about each other and exchanging some humorous gifts, plus a bottle of booze for the IP. Kind of a very toned-down roll call type setting, to put it in Air Force.

KBayDog

Something tells me you pointy-nosed clowns bought your IPs bottles BEFORE the flights in Primary. :)

Oh, and huggy - Do you quasi-astronaut-types drink before or after your flights? From that recent video, I'd think you'd want to calm the nerves prior to trying to land that beast.