• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Naval Academy - Divorced

jtmedli

pilot
USNA vs ECP

My son weighed his options to become a Mustang. He chose STA-21. He's been in STA-21 (FY10) for 14 months, getting accepted with just over four years of active duty service. NROTC/STA-21 battalions vary by school and military friendliness. My son was accepted at his second choice, The Citadel, with open arms.

His first choice, UVA, was of little to no help, in spite of his eligibility, a born and bred Virginian, and visits to the school to pitch himself. School loans would have been necessary had he been accepted to UVA.

At The Citadel, the balance of his tuition, over and above the SAT-21 stipend, is "forgiven" (@ $25k per annum). His educational costs are at an extreme minimum. He took the advancement exam last August (if memory serves), passed, and will be getting the pay bump to first class some time this Spring.

During his application process (three years), my son had the benefit of sage advice from his first cousin, a 1996 USNA graduate.

THIS! STA-21 for you AD enlisted guys is a GREAT deal. No way in hell would I go to the Academy when I could go to a regular college, have fun, drink beer, get laid, and live it up for 4 years....oh...and get it all paid for by Big Navy.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
THIS! STA-21 for you AD enlisted guys is a GREAT deal. No way in hell would I go to the Academy when I could go to a regular college, have fun, drink beer, get laid, and live it up for 4 years....oh...and get it all paid for by Big Navy.

The Citadel isn't exactly a 'regular college'. ;) The STA-21 and MECEP guys don't have to do the cadet thing though, they are basically day students who wear Navy and Marine uniforms. Even when I went through the Citadel was very welcoming of MECEPs and OCs, the school and NROTC unit went the extra mile to support and welcome them.

Red_

None
Is it true that your STA-21 time doesn't count towards retirement anymore? Someone mentioned this to me the other day and it struck me as odd.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That nails it, the prior enlisted has been through 'boot camp' and most would prefer the only three months of OCS regimentation ("CS"); or the free and easy lifestyle of a fine civvie University... vice the four years of rigid discipline/limited outside contact of the USNA. This is not meant to be derogatory of the Academy. All three sources produce fine Officers, and an Annapolis education is as fine/or finer than any.

In my two combat Sqdn (VA-146) deployments, our complete front office & half of JOPA were Canoe U. The senior leaders and junior wingmen were outstanding Officers, and Aviators. Two of my 4 COs made flag (1 an O-10 DCNO/Air), and 1 KIA. 1 USNA LT KIA, 1 USNA LT POW. I am a Middie fan and admirer!:)

BzB

jtmedli

pilot
The Citadel isn't exactly a 'regular college'. ;) The STA-21 and MECEP guys don't have to do the cadet thing though, they are basically day students who wear Navy and Marine uniforms. Even when I went through the Citadel was very welcoming of MECEPs and OCs, the school and NROTC unit went the extra mile to support and welcome them.

There are other schools that you can do STA-21 at. 2 guys I knew from the HTs did it at University of South Florida or something like that. Even at the Citadel, the STA-21 deal blows the doors off being a Midshipman at the boat school.

I have heard that STA-21 Officer Candidates have varying degrees of involvement with their associated NROTC units. I know that at mine we had to muster every Tuesday for drill type stuff, and we had to PT 2-3 times a week with the rest of the Mids. We also had to participate in fundraising events, as well as various competitions/extracurricular things on weekends. It ended up being a real commitment. I have heard that at some schools the STA-21 OCs just basically show face once a week.

Wareal

Contributor
Is it true that your STA-21 time doesn't count towards retirement anymore? Someone mentioned this to me the other day and it struck me as odd.

It is true...FY10 was the first year STA-21 time did not count for retirement.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is true...FY10 was the first year STA-21 time did not count for retirement.
Still the best deal goin' down for Sailors on this side of Mars!:D

OBTW Wareal... neat Avatar, makes me wanna go enlist again.:)
604 Painting.jpg
BzB

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
There are other schools that you can do STA-21 at. 2 guys I knew from the HTs did it at University of South Florida or something like that. Even at the Citadel, the STA-21 deal blows the doors off being a Midshipman at the boat school.

For prior enlisted guys, I'd tend to agree. A lo of them had difficulty adjusting to being on lockdown for a whole year again. That being said, I graduated with many, many priors who enjoyed their time there. For all it's faults, it is an institution that is distinctive and unique in its own way. And the Alumni network is head and shoulders above many other schools.

And believe it or not, I drank my face off (>25 bars within 1.5 NM of the gate), got laid with some regularity, sailed 80 miles offshore in terrible weather in a tiny boat with nothing but other mids, traveled intercontinentally to play rugby on the navy's dime, made lifelong friends, shook the President's hand at graduation, and know at least four or five people at every Navy command I've ever been to.

I also cursed that place, stood >90 days of restriction, got yelled at more times than I can count for breaking kindergarten rules, wore a uniform for two years straight, sweated my ass off when the AC broke, and had to try and wash the Academy stink and stigma off showing up at API.

To each their own, basically.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have heard that STA-21 Officer Candidates have varying degrees of involvement with their associated NROTC units. I know that at mine we had to muster every Tuesday for drill type stuff, and we had to PT 2-3 times a week with the rest of the Mids. We also had to participate in fundraising events, as well as various competitions/extracurricular things on weekends. It ended up being a real commitment. I have heard that at some schools the STA-21 OCs just basically show face once a week.

Yeah, this was pretty much the norm/expectation at my school as well. If anything strikes me as strange, it would be if there actually are NROTC programs out there that don't treat the OC's like regular participants. Granted they did a lot of the NS classes at NSI, but they still had to do all the other reindeer games. Since I was a MIDN and not an OC, I can't speak from experience on this one, but I would guess that the expectations were somewhat higher for them, given that it wasn't/isn't their first rodeo, and should know better than to do some of the things the MIDN tend to do.

jtmedli

pilot
words....

Yeah no one is saying it's a bad a school. Just saying that, after 4+years in the Navy and while heading back into the Navy afterwards, I think a little freedom and fun on the Navy's dime is well-deserved and would be appreciated.