• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NASA B-57 eclipse chase

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a post command VAQ recently retired pilot who just got a flying gig with NASA. Sounds like he's flying some pretty interesting planes, but not sure if this is one of them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that job exactly, but here's a NASA pilot job:
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476210800

They had an opening at Wallops awhile back...why only go visit Wallops when you could live there? Not sure if "COBRA Commander" was a requirement though....:)

That looks like a pretty cool gig.

I talked to their LNO while we were out there. NASA definitely has an interesting stable. Their P-3 had just got back from a Greenland ice survey.

And yeah...never thought I'd see a place that beat Pax for "pretty country, middle of nowhere, full of rednecks and nerds".

HuggyU2

None
At least a couple former U-2 guys flying there. Two seats so they do hire WSO types I believe.
Actually, I do not believe any of the backstairs are former military WSO's. Mainly engineers that applied.
The two guys mentioned are good friends of mine, and excellent pilots. They seem to really love their jobs. It's not for everyone... but if it is a good fit for someone, they'll stay there forever.
NASA Flight Ops is an eclectic mix of aviators from all over the spectrum. Much like the U-2 Program.

Pags

N/A
pilot
And yeah...never thought I'd see a place that beat Pax for "pretty country, middle of nowhere, full of rednecks and nerds".
Great summary of the Pax life (and Wallops, Edwards, The Lake, and probably anywhere else where there are airplanes with orange wire).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was it just the super wide angle lens or have those B-57s been re-engined with some big fans?

HuggyU2

None
Bigger than the original J57's (which were on the original U-2), but the TF-33's have been on the-57's since the 1960's.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Do they have rotary positions? Or should I just go back and sit in the corner...

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Do they have rotary positions? Or should I just go back and sit in the corner...
NASA isn't cool enough for rotary, but if you got the Planetary Protection Officer job you could probably convince them they need some to counter any potential alien invasion. :cool: