• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velocity

Im not real big on Enlisting.

My main priotity was to become an officer, so I was wondering that if I was to go to NAPs and Graduate, is their a chance that I won't get into the USNA.

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
There is a slim chance, but almost none. You can't apply directly to NAPS. They send you there if the Academy admissions people feel you need some help on academics and the like. The only way you cannot get into the Academy out of NAPS is either to fail or to quit. As long as you graduate from NAPS you will be able to attend the Academy. I did not attend NAPS, but a lot of people that I know did.

RJ
USNA '05

Semper Fi!
Go Navy! Beat Army!

Velocity

So if my grades are substandard than the ones required for admission to the academy, can they send me to naps?

jrUSNA05

Unicorn NFO
None
They can as long as they think you have a chance of succeeding when you get to the Academy. But NAPS shouldn't be your goal. Your overall package should be somewhat similiar to a competitive midshipman candidate. Your grades do not have to be the greatest in the world (mine definately weren't) but you do have to show some potential to the admissions board.

RJ
USNA '05

Semper Fi!
Go Navy! Beat Army!

Velocity

But when I say Substandard, I mean substandard.

Like 2.5'ish.

But my progress report(quarter) came and I had 3 A's and 3 B's...so Im trying alot harder(Im a junior).

Ive yet to take the SAT's to..so Im behind.

jason12

that SAT score is gonna mean a lot if the grades are below par....pretty much the same for all college admissions processes, what you lack in one area they wanna see better in another....my suggestion would be to get to studyin for the SAT even if you get your grades up to 3.0 or above, an SAT score can make or break you in the decision process....shoot for a 1200 with a 3.0 or higher, that should put you in target range of a decent candidate, and if nothing else it may also up your chances at NAPS if the USNA doesn't take you directly, also remember that the congressional nomination you are going to need may have standards as well....the pool of candidates is often high who are requesting nominations from a congressman, so they sometimes set standards of their own before nominating a candidate as they only are allowed to recommend so many people per congressman.....therefore my suggestion for that route that not a lot of people know of is that you don't have to be nominated by a congressman in the state you live in, but only by a US congressman, so get out the envelopes and stamps and start photocopyin essay's and transcripts go to the web and find all the congressional office websites you can and get the mailing addresses....just some input for ya

"IF ONE ADVANCES CONFIDENTLY IN THE DIRECTION OF HIS DREAMS,
AND ENDEAVORS TO LIVE THE LIFE WHICH HE HAS IMAGINED, HE WILL MEET WITH A SUCCESS UNEXPECTED IN COMMON HOURS."

wncpilot

Midshipman 2/C
I am currently a sophomore in high school and my dream is the Naval Academy. I was wondering if I could be nominated by more than one congressional representative.

quickandsure

Steve:

While anything is possible, two nominations are very unlikely. The nominating process is closely coordinated between all nominating entities: President, Vice President, Senators, House members. Apply to all, nominating authorities will sort it out.

An important point: Even if you do not get a nomination directly, if you are very competitive USNA Admissions can usually find something for you; ie, a nominee that is not qualified for admission leaving an open spot or a no-show nominee.

Most importantly, never, never, ever give up.

Good Luck.

...from what I remember you can only get congressional nomination from YOUR district congressman. I don't believe the President is a nominating authority last I checked, although the VP and Senators representing your state definitely also are.

Just a suggestion...it could really, really help if you volunteered as an intern at your congressional office. As long as you've also got decent grades, a good SAT score, they'll prob just give it to you. I got one even though I ultimately cud not apply to USNA.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
yeah get an internship there if you can, one of my buddies that went to the USNA was an intern for his congressman (even though he got in because his brother worked for him) and got the nomination. still dont look away from rotc, all the Lt's that were in my unit that went to the Academy said "if i could do it all over again...I'd go here"

quickandsure

Duh ... This was copied directly from the Naval Academy Website, WWW.USNA.EDU:

"Nomination Sources:

U.S. Senators, Representatives, and Delegates;

The President of the U.S.

The Vice President of the U.S.

Navy and Marine Corps (Active and Reserve)

Reserve Officers Training Corps Units;

Children of deceased or disabled veterans and children of prisoners of war or servicemen missing in action;

Children of Medal of Honor Awardees."

quickandsure

As follow-up the following is given: Also check the website WWW.USNA.EDU. We all mean well and strive to give correct information. Sometimes we goof and pass bad scoop and it becomes poop, so always, always double check from the source.

You should request a nomination from:

Congressman of your district (Or delegate if Guam, USVI, PR or Washdc)

Both Senators (Unless your are from Guam USVI, PR or WashDC).

The Vice President

If you are active or reserve, apply to your CO

If you are in an ROTC unit, apply to CO

If your parents are active duty or are retired from military service, apply to President. This nominating sources includes children of POW's, MIA's, KIA or "disabled" (some not all disabled), any service. Also if either of your parents have received the Congressional Medal of Honor, the President is nominating authority. The President an UNLIMITED number of nominees that he/she can make. If you qualify and request a Presidental nomination, by all means also request nominations from your Congressman and Senators.

Good luck and PM me if you need more.

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
It's definitely possible to get multiple nominations, and it will increase your chances of getting into the Academy (the Academy may not be able to give any more appointments to people in your district, but if you've got a senator's nomination they could fit you under the senator's quota). I know of at least two people that got nominations from their senator and congressman. I don't think that the nomination sources coordinate with eachother at all; the Academy will sort it all out as far as allocating their available appointments.

Patrick Daly

you can definitely get multiple nominations, i got three (2 senators, 1 congressman), yet annapolis still saw me unfit for admisssion...and i'm glad of it, rotc is the way to go! but if the Academy is your dream than stick to it, jack those grades up, study hard for the SAT, and participate in lots of activities, maybe they'll give you a chance

quickandsure

Super point!! That left three vacancies (two senators and 1 congressman) that were not filled from that state. Total waste for that state. But USNA then could offer admission to those three slots to someone who did not receive a nomination. Possibly whom had more of a committment to attend USNA. The system does work very, very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.