• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My visit to the Laser Eye Center...

Adam25sc

So I made a trip to a laser eye place today in San Diego for a consultation to see what kind of candidate I would be for PRK so I can hopefully fly. Bottom line is it doesn't look like I'm a very good candidate for laser surgery however I am a good candidate for a procedure called ICL, where they basically implant a permanent lens similar to a contact into your eye. I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever heard of it and know anything about it. Also, if it is approved at all in the military. Thanks a lot!

DFSpence

That doesn't sound like it would be approved. I had ASA back in March which is a variation of PRK and it was approved. Ask your doc about ASA.

nugget61

pilot
ICL is not waiverable.
The only waiverable correction process for us wannabes is PRK (ASA=PRK)

McBuff

Sees the light
Already asked, but why are you not a good candidate? I'd recommend getting a few more opinions. This place might just be trying to push this particular procedure for their own reasons.

Whitingorbust

Get a second opinion about the PRK, preferably from your own personal eye doctor. A lot of these franchised places like TLC and stuff are very picky about who they select for certain procedures like PRK so they can keep their numbers looking good when they advertise on TV. PRK (and variances of it such as LASEK) are the only procedures waived by the Navy. Do a search throughout this site and you will find good amount of info on the regulations that come with it.

Adam25sc

The main reason for them saying I am not a good candidate is because they said I have thin corneas, and when you have a surgery like PRK it makes them even thinner apparently. I did go to TLC for it. The Doc I talked to said that some of the problem could be from wearing contacts so much and I'm gonna go back in about a month and keep the contacts out for a few weeks. Also, when I go back the Doc I'm gonna talk to is apparently a big time guy at Balboa Naval Hospital and was a Flight Surgeon who has worked with all kinds of Naval Aviators, so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely gonna get some more opinions though.

nugget61

pilot
The main reason for them saying I am not a good candidate is because they said I have thin corneas, and when you have a surgery like PRK it makes them even thinner apparently. I did go to TLC for it. The Doc I talked to said that some of the problem could be from wearing contacts so much and I'm gonna go back in about a month and keep the contacts out for a few weeks. Also, when I go back the Doc I'm gonna talk to is apparently a big time guy at Balboa Naval Hospital and was a Flight Surgeon who has worked with all kinds of Naval Aviators, so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm definitely gonna get some more opinions though.

My doc wouldn't even look at me until I hadn't worn contacts for 30 days straight. And make sure that you and he are on the same page - thin corneas will DQ you from LASIK, but I've never heard of it DQing you from LASEK (PRK=LASEK). If nothing else, go get a second opinion to see which doc you prefer and pricing. Usually the screenings are free.

Jeff29

Science Project

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
My corneas are borderline for LASIK (note the "i"). Are you absolutely sure that's not what they were measuring you for? I have horrid vision (contacts ~7.5), which requires a thicker cornea, and thinish corneas to begin with. I was a candidate for LASIK, just barely, but I was told that LASEK/PRK would be no problem, so check and make sure you were told about the correct procedure.

Also, the permanent lenses are much more expensive than LASEK or PRK, so be aware that someone might try to push those to make a few extra bucks.

Adam25sc

Yea that is one thing, that procedure costs about twice as much as Laser surgery. I do think that my wearing contact definitely contributes cause I do wear them A LOT. Thanks for the links and for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it! I'm definitely gonna be getting multiple opinions