• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My PRK Experience Start to Finish

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
My experience was a little different than the other 'Start to Finish' thread, so I figured I would give my testimony.

I just got back from my appointment so I will update as the healing process progresses.

Pre-Op
My experience started several months ago when I called Dr. Ristivo's office inquireing about PRK. I was set up for a free consultation at his office. He explained the process and he went over the basics. I have never worn glasses before and I had only slight nearsightedness in my left eye, so I had never been to an Opthomologist before this. He went through the process of determining my perscription as though I was going to be wearing glasses. He found my perscription and decided that I was a viable candidate to undergo the procedure. He also took some measurements of my eye.

Stabilization
The next step was to go to set surgery date and go down to the Laser center, which was not the same place as Dr. Ristivo's office, for what they call a stabalization.
The stabilization took about 20 to 30 minutes and entailed looking through several machines that took several more measurements of my eye. From what I understand this produced a 'map' of my eye. I then took this information to Dr. Ristivo's office where he looked over the information. He then dialated my eye, took some more measurements and then sent me home.

Surgery
My surgery took place several weeks later. I walked in, signed another release, and took a valium. I went to a waiting room, where the nurse cleaned my left eye, and then took me directly in the the operating room. I laid down on the table, had my head stabalized, had several rounds of dropps placed in my eye, then had my right eye covered, my left eye pulled open. Once my eye was held open and stabalized with some kind of ring, I was placed under the machine. During this time I was looking at a red flashing light in the center of the laser machine. The Doctor used some instrument, which I assume was used to scrape off the top layer of my eye. I felt absolutely no pain, and very little pressure. The only sensation I had was remnisent of an eyelash tickleing my eyeball. The laser was then turned on, there was a poping noise, I smelled burt hair and that was about it.

Once the procedure was done the flushed my eye with water, which was incredibly cold, and then placed a contact over my eye and I was done.

The process took about 5 minutes. It was COMPLETELY painless.

I can still see out of my left eye, though its a bit blury, and I can feel something in it, which I assume is the contact.

I have 3 sets of drops that I am going to be using for a couple of weeks, and thats it.

I will update with the healing process as things develope.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
My experience was a little different than the other 'Start to Finish' thread, so I figured I would give my testimony.

I just got back from my appointment so I will update as the healing process progresses.

Pre-Op
My experience started several months ago when I called Dr. Ristivo's office inquireing about PRK. I was set up for a free consultation at his office. He explained the process and he went over the basics. I have never worn glasses before and I had only slight nearsightedness in my left eye, so I had never been to an Opthomologist before this. He went through the process of determining my perscription as though I was going to be wearing glasses. He found my perscription and decided that I was a viable candidate to undergo the procedure. He also took some measurements of my eye.

Stabilization
The next step was to go to set surgery date and go down to the Laser center, which was not the same place as Dr. Ristivo's office, for what they call a stabalization.
The stabilization took about 20 to 30 minutes and entailed looking through several machines that took several more measurements of my eye. From what I understand this produced a 'map' of my eye. I then took this information to Dr. Ristivo's office where he looked over the information. He then dialated my eye, took some more measurements and then sent me home.

Surgery
My surgery took place several weeks later. I walked in, signed another release, and took a valium. I went to a waiting room, where the nurse cleaned my left eye, and then took me directly in the the operating room. I laid down on the table, had my head stabalized, had several rounds of dropps placed in my eye, then had my right eye covered, my left eye pulled open. Once my eye was held open and stabalized with some kind of ring, I was placed under the machine. During this time I was looking at a red flashing light in the center of the laser machine. The Doctor used some instrument, which I assume was used to scrape off the top layer of my eye. I felt absolutely no pain, and very little pressure. The only sensation I had was remnisent of an eyelash tickleing my eyeball. The laser was then turned on, there was a poping noise, I smelled burt hair and that was about it.

Once the procedure was done the flushed my eye with water, which was incredibly cold, and then placed a contact over my eye and I was done.

The process took about 5 minutes. It was COMPLETELY painless.

I can still see out of my left eye, though its a bit blury, and I can feel something in it, which I assume is the contact.

I have 3 sets of drops that I am going to be using for a couple of weeks, and thats it.

I will update with the healing process as things develope.

Man that's dedication, you can only see out of one eye, and you still post on AW.

SkywardET

Contrarian
DO NOT slack off on the drops. It definately slows down the healing process considerably even if you miss just a couple of doses.

statesman

pilot
Just an update:

The first 4 or 5 days were absolute Hell.

My eye was scratchy and irritated. I got serious headaches from reading on the computer or books, or anything. The explanation I was given was due to my situation where only my left eye was hit with the laser. So while my right eye was 20/20 my left was 20/50 or so and my brain was not enjoying having the focused and out of focus eye feeding it information.

schwarti

Contributor
Can you use an eyepatch over the bad eye so that the eyesight-difference headaches won't happen, or do they tell you not to do that?

SkywardET

Contrarian
You're going to have to train your brain to use your eyes as they are now, which might take some time. I would recommend multivitamins, personally. Whatever you aren't getting from food, but your brain needs to restructure itself, needs to come from somewhere.

statesman

pilot
Can you use an eyepatch over the bad eye so that the eyesight-difference headaches won't happen, or do they tell you not to do that?

They didn't say yes or no either way. The headaches went away after about 6 days. My left eye is stabilizing, but still out of focus.