• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Path to BDCP Acceptence (Intel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logico

I am currently in the BDCP program for Intel and will begin OCS in February 2006. For those interested I will briefly summarize how I got accepted and offer some advice based upon my experience for what it is worth.

So-called ‘stats’
OAR = 43
GPA = 3.0
Degree in ‘Philosophy’ from University of Missouri—Kansas City
PT = average score (at least for a 28 year old :) )

My OAR was low because I didn’t know about the ASTB.gouge files available here on Airwarriors. So I took the test pretty much with no studying. My recruiter told me that I would have to get higher than that so I studied and re-took the test and got another 43. Like any average, my GPA hides the fact that if you look at my transcript there are several semesters when I began college where I failed a bunch of classes. Recent semesters are all A’s. I made a point in my motivation statement to explain that. It is difficult to know whether my degree in ‘Philosophy’ helped or hurt me since most people (including most of you reading this) have no idea what the field consists of.

On this web-site it seems that people often assess the probability of themselves and others getting accepted into BDCP using these three ‘stats’. This is a big mistake. Look at my stats…they aren’t outstanding. So how did I get in?

1. I got VERY STRONG education related letters of recommendation from 4 of my professors.

2. I got VERY STRONG professional letters of recommendation from my previous boss at my previous employer.

3. I got VERY STRONG letters of recommendation relating to my overall character from some fellow employees and friends of the family (one of whom was ex-Navy).

4. My recruiter contacted a Naval Intelligence Officer stationed at an Army War College close to where I live and set up a face to face interview between him and me. I met with LCDR ________ for about 1 ½ hours. It was exactly like a job interview. I was in a tie, resume in hand, list of questions in hand, etc. He gave me an OUTSTANDING recommendation to supplement my package.

5. My recruiter contacted another Naval Intelligence Officer who conducted a 20 minute telephone interview with me. He gave me HIGH recommendations and that further enhanced my package.

6. I included in my motivation statement some examples of some research that I have been doing with some data that was given to me by one of my Political Science professors on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Using this data I constructed a statistical model (regression model for those 'in the know') linking the number of suicide bombings by Palestinians with the number of Israeli deaths by all attack types. I provided a nice little chart and summary illustrating the model in my motivation statement. I’m sure that having this in my motivation statement made me stand out.

7. I included with my packet a 13 page paper I wrote for a political science class I took on ‘Terrorism and Political Violence’ covering the major theories of repression/rebellion and how to deal with terrorists. I don’t know if they read it but that must have shown them that I am aware of what is going on in the world and have taken courses dealing with social theory.

8. Perhaps most importantly, I worked at an aircraft manufacturer (Learjet) for 4 ½ years as a Quality Analyst. During that time I acquired significant leadership experience, training (e.g. statistical analysis, problem-solving, root-cause analysis, team organization, projects, etc.), as well as practical know-how (e.g. experience using Word, Excel, Access, SQL-based queries, databases in general, web-sites, MINITAB). I am also a member of the American Society for Quality and have attended several training conventions and seminars.

9. I included in my resume any extra curricular activities that I could think of. For instance, I participate in the martial arts and help teach at a school. This shows some leadership as well as the ability to train and progress. Also, I included any of my professional events like when I attended a week long conference put together by the American Society for Quality. I even listed the titles of the one-hour seminars I attended during that conference.

In all, I would say that I spent a significant amount of time on EACH and EVERY part of my packet so that weak sections (like my OAR) would be off-set by strong sections. I don’t have time to go into this but I actually was rejected the first time and fixed what they had a problem with (GPA related) and then re-submitted again. The entire process took me 13 months! You have to be VERY patient and VERY persistent to get into Intel BDCP.

Turnaround Times

1st Submission on September 22, 2003
Got rejected by Intel board December 11, 2003

2nd Submission on May 14, 2004
Received Final Acceptance June 25, 2004

Advice (if it helps anyone): Take EVERY piece of your packet seriously. Make EACH piece as valuable as you can. They are really going to look at your “whole person” not just your OAR, GPA, and degree. Try to get an interview with an Intel Officer (in person if possible). This is particularly true if you are like me and you interview well in person.

I hope this post helps someone.

Thanks.

Smallz

Logico,

I just took my first ASTB the other day! In my debriefing my advisor said everything looked good to go except for my AQR score; I recieved a 2. My OAR score was a 40. Yet, he said my GPA makes up for my OAR. My GPA is 3.5! One point man! I didn't study at all before I took my first test, yet I am going to study now! You have any insight on how to raise my AQR?

"If you cannot be certain of any fact, then you cannot know the meaning of your words either"--Ludwig Wittgenstein (On Certainty)

sipelle

Question...

I noticed you said they had a problem with your GPA, does this mean if you get turned down they tell you why they didnt select you? how do you know thats where the problem was

Logico

sipelle said:
I noticed you said they had a problem with your GPA, does this mean if you get turned down they tell you why they didnt select you? how do you know thats where the problem was

I don't know if that information is given to everyone but I had no problem finding out why I was rejected the first time. They liked my overall package but my GPA was a bit low. So I went to school full time for a semester (while working full time and with a family by the way :) ) and got all A's which brought my GPA up to a level that they found more to their liking.

The LT at the recruiting command that I was working with really took care of me because my twin brother is a stand up JO1 (journalist) in the Navy and is also at that command. So when I got rejected the 1st time the LT contacted the board and asked them why. Then he and I sat down and worked out a plan to improve my numbers.

The LT did joke that if it weren't for him working with my brother then he might not have been willing to go that extra mile for me. But I think that if you pressed the issue you should be able to get a response as to why you were rejected and what you might do about it (if it isn't obvious already).

I know that in my case persistance really paid off!

thecode81

well...i sent in my package....

GPA: 3.054 Psychology UCF
OAR: 55
LORS: Foreign language professor, 2 employers, and a Retired CO
Motivational Statement: Focused on my past work and leadership experience

I think I'm acceptable, but far from a sure thing. I'm 23, so I have plenty of time to keep reapplying. I'm prepared for a marathon, not a sprint. Thankyou all for your help along the way.

Logico

thecode81 said:
well...i sent in my package....

GPA: 3.054 Psychology UCF
OAR: 55
LORS: Foreign language professor, 2 employers, and a Retired CO
Motivational Statement: Focused on my past work and leadership experience

I think I'm acceptable, but far from a sure thing. I'm 23, so I have plenty of time to keep reapplying. I'm prepared for a marathon, not a sprint. Thankyou all for your help along the way.

thecode81-- As I said in my long post, it's the whole package that gets you in I think. Based upon the info you gave us here, I'd say that things look decent. Foreign languages is a Crypto function, not Intel, but I guess it won't hurt. Did you get an interview from anyone in Intel?

thecode81

no i didnt, i suppose that will be the improvement for when i submit a second time if necessary. i told my recruiter i'm in it for the long haul. he said to resubmit something must improve. that would be an easy improvement. i asked him to set me up with one originally he said it probably wouldnt be neccessary and even if i did, they wouldnt look at it. i've heard elsewhere that isnt exactly true though, but we will see

Logico

thecode81 said:
no i didnt, i suppose that will be the improvement for when i submit a second time if necessary. i told my recruiter i'm in it for the long haul. he said to resubmit something must improve. that would be an easy improvement. i asked him to set me up with one originally he said it probably wouldnt be neccessary and even if i did, they wouldnt look at it. i've heard elsewhere that isnt exactly true though, but we will see

I can tell you right now that having an outstanding interview from an Intel officer would be one of the best things you could have in your packet. I think your recruiter is giving you some bad advice.

'Wink' seems like he has been around the BDCP block a few times and check out his response at the bottom of this thread about the importance of an interview for Intel: http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9978

If I were you, and it is YOUR future not your recruiters, I would take it upon myself to find somebody to talk to and get an interview. On the BDCP elegibility criteria paperwork it says that an interview with someone in Intel will "enhance packet". It really might make or break you. Sorry, not trying to be a know it all or anything but only trying to help you out.

Chase8710

Thecode81:
Get an interview. It is vital. I cant understand why your recruiter would tell you otherwise, but regardless of what he/she says, tell him or her that is what you want. After reading Logico's original post a month ago on how he was accecpted, I called my recuiter right away and told him I wanted to get an interview. He was more than happy to help me out and the interview went great and now I am waiting to hear back from the intel board. With my OAR only a 49, I believe the interview will help round out the whole package for a canidate on the fence with a GPA and ASTB score such as myself. Good luck buddy, and my advice is listen to all the great advice from the people that came before you and me ever found this website....I have found that they all know what they are talking about.

Logico

Smallz said:
Logico,

I just took my first ASTB the other day! In my debriefing my advisor said everything looked good to go except for my AQR score; I recieved a 2. My OAR score was a 40. Yet, he said my GPA makes up for my OAR. My GPA is 3.5! One point man! I didn't study at all before I took my first test, yet I am going to study now! You have any insight on how to raise my AQR?

"If you cannot be certain of any fact, then you cannot know the meaning of your words either"--Ludwig Wittgenstein (On Certainty)

Smallz-- Sorry to have overlooked your post. It has been awhile since you posted. Have you submitted yet? As far as raising your scores, I would simply study up on the ASTB.gouge files provided by people on this site. When you take the test for the second time there will be all new questions though so watch out for that. I had to take it twice and the second time had all new questions. Both the first and second test had the same type of questions though. I would say that they were about equal in difficulty.

I keep stressing this but I'll say it again. Even if your scores are low that will not necessarily eliminate you (look at my scores and GPA). Just make everything else in your packet as top notch as you can get and it should off-set the bad scores. You will be going up against people who were too rushed or too foolish to take time to make everything look perfect. They will go home empty handed. Making every single piece as good as possible will already put you in the top "cut" I think.

TJKNapoleon

Thanks for the good advice. I'm starting to put my packet together, and from what I'm reading, it seems like it is a good idea to include more rather than less with my profile.

I have an OAR of 59, and graduated with 3.3 GPA. (Honors - Polisci/History). But, last year, I applied with an OAR of 51 and was rejected, so I'm hoping this time will go better. I didn't get an interview either, but I think, this time, I'll insist upon one. Including the paper also sounds really intelligent.

Once again, thanks for the good advice.

Logico

TJKNapoleon said:
Thanks for the good advice. I'm starting to put my packet together, and from what I'm reading, it seems like it is a good idea to include more rather than less with my profile.

I have an OAR of 59, and graduated with 3.3 GPA. (Honors - Polisci/History). But, last year, I applied with an OAR of 51 and was rejected, so I'm hoping this time will go better. I didn't get an interview either, but I think, this time, I'll insist upon one. Including the paper also sounds really intelligent.

Once again, thanks for the good advice.

No problem. It sounds to me like the interview will really help you. Your other 'stats' are pretty good. I would insist upon an interview and try to get a face to face interview with an Intel officer in your area. Even if you had to drive across the country to get one it would be worth it. In the long run what is a day or two sacrificed for a face to face interview compared with your dream of being an Intel Officer? If your local command doesn't hook you up with a face to face I would contact the Intelligence Officer Community Manager and see if they can help. http://www.npc.navy.mil/Npc/Templat...AC-D4F3099031B5}&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#restricted

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.