• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My new Balkan-war boom stick.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Behold... my newest toy. A Yugoslavian M70 underfolder. Built on a DCI reciever, with a Tapco G2 FCG, I still need two parts for it to be 922r compliant. I bought a Tapco SAW grip, but I don't think I like it, so I'll probably order a US-made Yugo grip and slant brake to meet the requirements of a very retarded law. Total cost was around $300 if you factor in shipping, 922r parts, various rivet kits, etc... A built Yugo UF would cost you around $500 if you bought it new.

The only real issue is that the barrel is pretty worn. Yugo guns don't have chrome lined bores (there are no substantial chromium deposits in Yugoslavia), and they fired mostly corrosive ammo. It still has some rifling, but I need to clean it out the best I can to see what I have to work with. When someone comes out with new US made chrome-lined barrels, I'll probably pick one up (US made barrels are out, but no chrome-lined ones)

Next step is to see about getting it refinished. I'm thinking of getting it parkerized and apply a moly-resin on top of it. Not sure. Still have yet to test fire it -- got to find a place in Houston with good prices on 7.62x39. Someday, I'll finish my Romak to go with it for some fixed stock fun.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very nice Squeeze. How are they to build vs an AR15?

Much more involved. An AR build consists of throwing parts into a lower, and that's about it. To build an AK-variant from parts typically consists of: buying a parts kit with a cut receiver, buying a new US made receiver in any state of completion you want, removing all the rivets from the parts kit gun, punching the barrel out of the trunion (unless you do a screw build), rivetting the f & r trunions and the trigger guard, pushing the barrel back in, throwing all the FCG parts in, screwing the wood/stock/handguards on, and you're set.

Depending on how many you want to build or of what quality, you can spend a bit on the initial outlay for tools that will help a lot, but in the end, you can basically crank out a bunch of AK-variants at a good price. Shoot, you can even find PKM parts kits some places (granted, no one I know of makes a receiver yet).

Like I said, I intend to build up my Romanian parts kit into a standard build with the wood stock and all that. I just need to find a good receiver for it and get to it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very pretty Squeeze, good work.

MB: I've built two ARs... if you want help, let me know.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Very nice, and props on the build. That is more than I have been willing to tackle.

snort

Banned
Looks like a cool piece at a great price. IMO the AK-47 types are a hoot to shoot, and at that price a nice addition to your collection.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Does it fit in your seat pan?
behind%20enemy%20lines%20SPLASH.jpg