• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Just back from range after installing plain black, suppressor height co-witness sights on my RMR equipped M&P long slide. A worthy upgrade - does not really affect my split times but my first shot times are up dramatically simply because I am not hunting for the dot as I would before. This is a great combat pistol - and a bargain compared to Sig and Glock. Performance with 124 and 147 gr loads is exceptional in accuracy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
32370578287_1a03c85a3d_b.jpg

ChuckMK23

pilot
So after about an hour , I’ve turned my piece of plastic into a firearm. Will order upper and lower parts kit and a barrel to complete.

I used a Dremel and sandpaper on my frame - best practice is a drill press to use the included steel milling tool but no drill press at my house. Careful Dremel work did the trick with excellent results.

I’m actually surprised this isn’t regulated yet. Very straightforward..

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Let us know how it shoots. After numerous 80% ARs builds, I've been intrigued by the 80% Glocks.

ChuckMK23

pilot
My Polymer 80 build with Brownells slide (G17 clone).

I have about $420 into the gun so far - the frame and slide combo was a good deal from Brownells. Used stock Glock factory parts for lower and upper. My barrel came from combatarms.com in Michigan.

Feels great in the hand - will shoot it this weekend. Is it better than a stock factory G17 - no. But the fact that I "built it myself" and there is no paperwork required somehow makes this project fun.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
My Polymer 80 build with Brownells slide (G17 clone).

I have about $420 into the gun so far - the frame and slide combo was a good deal from Brownells. Used stock Glock factory parts for lower and upper. My barrel came from combatarms.com in Michigan.

Feels great in the hand - will shoot it this weekend. Is it better than a stock factory G17 - no. But the fact that I "built it myself" and there is no paperwork required somehow makes this project fun.

View attachment 21727
Looks awesome. Just curious, but why would you say a stock G17 is better? To me it seems like you’re getting a custom build for a lot cheaper than a stock G17 that should shoot on par if not better.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Looks awesome. Just curious, but why would you say a stock G17 is better? To me it seems like you’re getting a custom build for a lot cheaper than a stock G17 that should shoot on par if not better.

I can get a factory G17 for $400-420 (before taxes), so pricewise, it's a wash. Factor in any manufacturing issues that may come up and a factory gun has a higher chance of being problem free. Even pre-manufactured components can give you issues. I've seen a Brownell's slide render a factory Glock completely inaccurate because the tolerance wasn't there on the slide.

But if working on a project like this is a fun thing for you and/or you really care about serial numbers, then have at it. Because why not? 'Merica.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
I can get a factory G17 for $400-420 (before taxes), so pricewise, it's a wash. Factor in any manufacturing issues that may come up and a factory gun has a higher chance of being problem free. Even pre-manufactured components can give you issues. I've seen a Brownell's slide render a factory Glock completely inaccurate because the tolerance wasn't there on the slide.

But if working on a project like this is a fun thing for you and/or you really care about serial numbers, then have at it. Because why not? 'Merica.
Copy all. Out here in CA a G17 usually sells for 500+ before taxes (499 if on sale for non blue label anyways). I’ve always been a fan of the polymer 80 frames, as they don’t have the gen3s finger grooves. Completely agree that a factory firearm will have a higher likelihood of being problem free. However, if you can get quality aftermarket parts I don’t see why it wouldn’t out shoot a stock g17. As always, training and range time also need to be factored in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Copy all. Out here in CA a G17 usually sells for 500+ before taxes (499 if on sale for non blue label anyways). I’ve always been a fan of the polymer 80 frames, as they don’t have the gen3s finger grooves. Completely agree that a factory firearm will have a higher likelihood of being problem free. However, if you can get quality aftermarket parts I don’t see why it wouldn’t out shoot a stock g17. As always, training and range time also need to be factored in.

Definitely more valuable in a place like CA, and yeah, I'm quoting a BL price, which helps. I don't know that I've seen a Gen 4 P80 lower, though, which would have much higher value to me in CA, since the factory Gen 4s aren't on the list. I just find it so much easier to shoot a Glock with the large backstrap that's on the newer gens.

That said, since I could acquire a G17 Gen 4 in FL as a resident and import it into CA when I lived there, my problems were solved.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Definitely more valuable in a place like CA, and yeah, I'm quoting a BL price, which helps. I don't know that I've seen a Gen 4 P80 lower, though, which would have much higher value to me in CA, since the factory Gen 4s aren't on the list. I just find it so much easier to shoot a Glock with the large backstrap that's on the newer gens.

That said, since I could acquire a G17 Gen 4 in FL as a resident and import it into CA when I lived there, my problems were solved.
On a side note, how do you like your 416? 10.5?