• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
48522680301_a52f4136ce_b.jpg

How much more help do you need to find the target? You need more guns to put those optics on...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's an early-GWOT SOF recreation. Good from 400+ meters down to CQB distance. It's actually pretty fun to shoot at varying distances (something I was doing that day...200y to in close with cardio).

But I will ask you this: how did you manage to ad a table into your post? Fixed for you.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was shooting at the 100y bay one day. There's signs up that say minimum shooting distance 50y and no pistol shooting. I show up and a couple was already shooting. A Glock was sitting on the bench and a target stand was up at the 25y, so I was already keeping my eyes open. As I start zeroing in the prone, the woman gets in the prone (or maybe it was kneeling) and starts shooting at the 25y target with an AR. I have my ears turned on, so I can hear the snap of the bullet going through the trees and to who knows where. I turn to them (he's started shooting his pistol now) and let them know she's shooting over the berm.

Shock and surprise that this is the case! At least they stopped.

On my way out, I asked the range owner if someone complained about me. After I told him what happened, he said he knew who they were (both LEOs, as it turns out) and would talk with them next time. I guess the idea of owning every bullet you fire wasn't drilled into them.

GroundPounder

On my way out, I asked the range owner if someone complained about me. After I told him what happened, he said he knew who they were (both LEOs, as it turns out) and would talk with them next time. I guess the idea of owning every bullet you fire wasn't drilled into them.

A common misconception is that we ( LEO ) are all gun people. You would be surprised at the percentage that only shoot to qualify and never fire another round all year. Then there are the ones like you saw that are even more scary.

I could not go to a public range, I don't see how ya'll do it.

exNavyOffRec

A common misconception is that we ( LEO ) are all gun people. You would be surprised at the percentage that only shoot to qualify and never fire another round all year. Then there are the ones like you saw that are even more scary.

Many LE agencies around me have to qualify at a public range, I see them occasionally where I go shooting, the range will close down one of the ranges and let people know it will be open when the agency is done with their quals.

A good friend of mine is a trooper and we were talking about shooting frequency for LEO's last week, he wishes he could shoot a few times a month, but they only allocate 50 rounds every X months for them, other than that he pays out of pocket.

GroundPounder

Many LE agencies around me have to qualify at a public range, I see them occasionally where I go shooting, the range will close down one of the ranges and let people know it will be open when the agency is done with their quals.

A good friend of mine is a trooper and we were talking about shooting frequency for LEO's last week, he wishes he could shoot a few times a month, but they only allocate 50 rounds every X months for them, other than that he pays out of pocket.

We are lucky to have a very good trainng facility with rifle and pistol ranges, as well as a shoot house. We also have a FATS machine that is state of the art. Our guys can shoot using our ammo every Friday. Comparatively few avail themselves, so the ones that do can basically shoot till they have had their fill.

We also have an EOD range where we host other EOD teams, so there is usually something getting blown up out there as well.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The way I do it is that I don't shoot at a public range. That makes things much better.

You would be surprised at the percentage that only shoot to qualify and never fire another round all year. Then there are the ones like you saw that are even more scary.

No doubt. And I don't disparage those that aren't "gun people," whatever that means. But I'd argue that if you're accepting the responsibility of Use of Force, in whatever you do, actually understand what that means. I did, long before I started actually shooting regularly.

But I know I'm preaching to the choir.

exNavyOffRec

We are lucky to have a very good trainng facility with rifle and pistol ranges, as well as a shoot house. We also have a FATS machine that is state of the art. Our guys can shoot using our ammo every Friday. Comparatively few avail themselves, so the ones that do can basically shoot till they have had their fill.

We also have an EOD range where we host other EOD teams, so there is usually something getting blown up out there as well.

They have been trying to get a mostly dedicated range for LE to train at, it is supposed to be open for public shoots most of the time, but have a specific area for LE to do a variety of training (breaches and such), however standard bureaucracy has delayed it over and over again.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor

Like you, we had the same deal at the Cincinnati Police Department...which was awesome. I wasn’t exactly the ace-of-the-base when it came to shooting, so I made it a point to frequent our range on open shoot days if I had court that day [I was in court fairly often]. Every time I went to the CPD range, I was the only basic patrol knucklehead there...I was shocked. The only other knuckleheads present were the SWAT dudes...so...that made sense that they’d be there.

CPD SWAT dudes [snarky tone]: “Hey, mad dog...you gonna apply for SWAT?”

mad dog: “Oh gee whiz...fuck no...go do some SWAT stuff and stop pestering me...I’m trying to hit some paper here!”

Last edited: