• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

AULANI

31623d.jpg

Seriously, I had no idea how much hate there was for these things on the gun-related Internet when I used one, and kind of liked it. I got issued one at Fort Jackson with no clue that it was ACKSCHUALLY an evil negligent-discharge-inducing killing machine of evil.

Lol, I've taken CC classes with a number of legit instructors in the NOVA area and they will not let you use a SERPA in their class. I had one issued to me during all 3 deployments to AFG as well but that was back in 2001-2005.

Wait seriously? How?
You don't know lol? Just google Tex Grebner.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait seriously? How?
The release mechanism is . . . controversial. The dude @AULANI is talking about got Internet famous by having an ND and shooting himself in the leg drawing from a Serpa. There's people who swear on a stack of Bibles that the trigger-finger actuated release is setting someone up for an ND.

In addition to @AULANI's anecdote, I got issued one about three years ago during Narmy training. Shot Expert with it twice in one day, ran the Navy Handgun Practical Weapons course twice, did innumerable iterations of the clearing barrel nonsense, and never felt I was in danger of flagging myself or worse. And OBTW, there were a bunch of folks in that course who barely knew which end of the evil scary gun was the loud one . . . and there was still no Serpa-related drama.

But there's a lot of civilian instructors who are death on them, it seems.

AULANI

The release mechanism is . . . controversial. The dude @AULANI is talking about got Internet famous by having an ND and shooting himself in the leg drawing from a Serpa. There's people who swear on a stack of Bibles that the trigger-finger actuated release is setting someone up for an ND.

In addition to @AULANI's anecdote, I got issued one about three years ago during Narmy training. Shot Expert with it twice in one day, ran the Navy Handgun Practical Weapons course twice, did innumerable iterations of the clearing barrel nonsense, and never felt I was in danger of flagging myself or worse. And OBTW, there were a bunch of folks in that course who barely knew which end of the evil scary gun was the loud one . . . and there was still no Serpa-related drama.

But there's a lot of civilian instructors who are death on them, it seems.
I thought the bigger deal for the MIL wasn't necessarily the possibility of an ND but that small rocks or debris could get inside the trigger-release mechanism and PREVENT you from drawing your pistol in a time of need. Who knows...

I definitely don't fill my AR mags to 30 though. Everyone knows you only go to 28. ;)

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Alright, so what's a better alternative? Looking for a retention paddle holster, not leather or nylon, and fit to Glock 19 (without scope/rail attachments).

I still have time to return the Serpa. Not worried about ND, but if I ever take it to a shooting range I don't want them to not let me use my holster.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Alright, so what's a better alternative? Looking for a retention paddle holster, not leather or nylon, and fit to Glock 19 (without scope/rail attachments).

I still have time to return the Serpa. Not worried about ND, but if I ever take it to a shooting range I don't want them to not let me use my holster.
Checkout Safariland ALS holsters.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I thought the bigger deal for the MIL wasn't necessarily the possibility of an ND but that small rocks or debris could get inside the trigger-release mechanism and PREVENT you from drawing your pistol in a time of need. Who knows...

To me, this is a much bigger reason to not use them. I will say that when I shoot with a non-ALS holster, my thumb still tries to actuate the ALS, so finger muscle memory can be a thing.

Alright, so what's a better alternative?

Checkout Safariland ALS holsters.

This.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agree with above. Have used the ALS without the top cover thingy for duty. Well over 1000 presentations. Very nice. Not a Kydex guy. I just like leather. This is the only plastic holster I have used for any length of time and I like it.

TF7325

pilot
Contributor
Recommendation?

Also, anyone have experience with internal guide rod laser brands, eg. LaserMax? I’ve seen mixed reviews and they ain’t cheap.
I leave my guiderod stock. As for sights I currently rock Trijicon HDs in orange. But I’ve also heard great things about Ameriglo Kyle Defoor sights which are cheaper. John from Poet Warrior likes iDot sights. Travis Haley also has some pretty interesting Thirteen sights. All will get the job done ??

Last edited: