• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Never heard of it (not that that means $hit) but the engineer in me thought that was interesting. I looked around and on another forum a gentleman describes the same thing:

The link to that quote is http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2291&p=28223 although there doesnt appear to really be any more info on that subject in the thread.

So it could be that the plastic is pushing the round up in a funny way that the all-metal version isnt. Are the tops of your two mags different? Not the follower but the top part of the magazine frame where the "lips" curl in...

Excellent sleuthing -- many thanks! +140 or whatever. I'm still scratchin' my head over the phenomenon -- the mags are virtually new when considering overall usage even though they're decades old from off the production line. I'll check the lips (closely) on the tops of the two magazines and compare them to the two (older still) all-metal follower-types that DO function "normally".

Thanks again.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I looked at all my mags for all my different models and calibers. I held it with the bullets facing foward and away from me. I noticed that from back to front, the parts that curl in cover roughly the same percentage of the total back to front distance. Or in other words, when you load a round in there, the curled parts cover just over half of the casing part. They're proportionally the same amount. I suspect that if the curled parts arent as long back-to-front and cover say, 40% of the casing, I would have a similar problem. Since the followers push the front part of the bullet upward so that it can find the chamber upon being stripped, if you shorten those "lips" it will cause more of an upward rotation instead of an upward angle.

Good way to demonstrate that is to take any mag and load just one round in it. Push the round out a little bit so it extends past the magazine (simulating the "lips" holding a lesser portion of the casing). If you push upward on the bullet you will see the round "snap" out of the mag and flip upward. If that happened inside the gun, it wouldnt be in the proper position to be fed properly. And if it happens quick enough, it wouldnt cause a failure to feed but instead just "hang out" in no-mans-land betweeen the mag and the gun.

I could be full of shit though ;)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Zombie Killer

This followed me home from the Jax gun show today. Not too hard to control at all with eight rounds of 00 buckshot.

Now the zombies don't stand a chance :D

50580.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Gun show at the Fairgrounds. I think it's the same company that'll be in Pensacola this coming weekend.

They had a pretty good selection of guns. My roommate scored a Mauser for pretty cheap too.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? Been wanting one of those for a while...

jbuck387

Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!
pilot
one followed me home from a gun shower about 6 months ago too, damn thing are always looking for a new home! Remember zombie defense is every man responsibility

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
BUMP

I got my M1A yesterday, but I require a few more magazines. I've checked MidwayUSA, Brownells, Cheaper Than Dirt, and a few other places, but the majority of 20-round magazines seem to be sold out. Does anyone have a link for a good source?

H60Gunner

Contributor

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
The spousal unit just does not understand.

I got lucky I guess. My X-Wife in waiting (trophy type) never questioned me on my gun purchases and I never questioned her on her horse purchases. Worked out great until the other three wheels fell off.

Now she has her horses and I have my guns and we are happy again.