• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My Latest Purchase (or just pictures of your current guns)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The Block 2 got a new prescription a couple of weeks ago...

50286018081_b447195848_h.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since the self f defense thread is dead and an attempt to revive two years ago met with crickets, I'll post this here. I think it fits since the net result of the story is spending some father son bonding time shopping for a gun .

Last night my unarmed 24 year old son repelled an armed car jacking or kidnapping of his vehicle, with girl friend along. It was 2215 in a well lit grocery store parking lot in an upper middle class neighborhood. They had finished shopping and just gotten into his truck. He had started his truck and was taking his phone out of his pocket when he hears the back right door open. He looks over his seat and a guy with a gun and tattoos all over his face (I know, central casting) is trying to get into the back seat. My son is a lacrosse coach and had the back seat full of lax gear. He spins around lets go with his loudest war cry and screams get out and punches him in the face a couple times. The guy keeps trying to crawl over the lax gear with his left hand and holds the gun in his right close to his chest like in a retention position. My boy carries a fire extinguisher and thought about going for it, but didn't want to take his eyes off the guy. When the guy looked down for a hand hold my son clocked him a couple more times and tried to push him out. That is when the guy gave up, and backed out. During the melee my son's knee hit the key and turned off the truck. He spun back around and tried to drive away. When he couldn't move the shifter out of park and was getting no engine response it threw him for a loop. He said is felt like 10 minutes to realize what had happened before he started the car and drove off.

Just a few of his thoughts. He used to always tactical park. He has gotten sloppy and usually doesn't now, just like last night. He has read Gavin De Becker and grown up hearing nuggets from me about thinking defensively and hearing stories about the LE critical incidents that make up his mom's cases. He had OC spray from when he valet parked cars late into the night in a nightclub district. Did not have it. He heard voices talking loudly in another car a couple spaces over when they parked and he saw 3-4 guys in the car. He admitted the hair went up on the back of his neck, but forgot about it just about as fast. Just after he got in his truck they backed out and had their headlights on his truck. But he turned his attention to his phone all the while chatting with his girlfriend. Oddly, after the car jacker retreated to the car, waiting with door open, they didn't peal out. They sat there while my son made his escape and was still there when he exited the parking lot and looked to see if they were pursuing.

My thoughts. He knows better. But like most of us it is hard to stay alert all the time. I don't. Even though he does know better, he doesn't day dream what ifs or train mentally. Still, he did well. He did not hesitate to act when the actual threat presented itself. He most certainly did not go into "black". He was pretty observant and his mind was working throughout the whole encounter, considering options and taking tactical advantage when he saw it. Even when his truck didn't respond when he expected it to, he didn't panic and figured it out, probably in seconds though predictably it seemed longer to him.

Now he wants a defensive gun. He is a great shot. He shoots all of my guns. Although he has a shotgun gifted for hunting, I didn't want him to have a handgun when he had college roommates. I have given his older brothers handguns. He lives alone now and is very responsible. He took a class a buddy teaches a few years ago too. I got him to pull it out of zone five AB so we can work on this together. He hadn't thought about the pros and cons of carry styles, holsters, presentation, his lifestyle and dress, weapon security, calibers, etc. That is my idea of "the talk".

Be safe out there guys. Be alert. We had one AW member shot in his own garage years ago ( he is ok if you don't know the story). There really is no safe neighborhood. The bad guys commute too. If you don't know just a little bit about criminal predator behavior, learn. Your brain is the best weapon.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The dearth of common ammo in service calibers is real. Driven by last years razor thin margins, low consumer demand, and increasing commodity prices, many manufacturers and distributors scaled back - normal business decisions about inventory churn and cash on hand. By March and April demand spun up far faster than anyone could have forecast - meanwhile the engine of production is simply not keeping up and manufacturers are being cautious to avoid hiring or capital investments that wont result in a return on investment.

I say all this because most people I shoot with at the skeet range or at USPSA events are convinced there are darker conspiratorial explanations to the current supply/demand situation.

My Dillon press is cranking out 9mm and I have an ample supply of Garand ammo thanks to deep discounting by CMP last year. I am out of 5.56 however - wump wump! (sad face). I suppose if my condo association decides to form up a militia I will have to do my best Grand Torino "get off my lawn" impression :) (I have all my 8 round clips loaded and in bandoleers a la Band of Brothers)

Anyways I hope everyone is shooting safe and having fun out on their respective ranges! I am going back to my Dillon press...

If anyone wants to donate/drop ship me a case or two of Black Hills Mk262 77 Grain 5.56, feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I could use hens’ teeth instead of primers to reload, I’d seriously consider it, because they’re probably easier to find. :(

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guys, there's a whole Firearms section to the site. All gun stuff doesn't have to end up here. Create a new thred. This thread is for pics. If you want, to prove my point, I can take pics of my plethora of 5.56.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

So I participated in some firearms training lead by some former Tier 1 guys, the way the shooter in the bottom left of this pic is shouldering his weapon was NOT the way they were training us. We had a GM1 with us and he was going all operator and they kept tell him to bring your rifle to your shoulder and not bring your head down to your weapon.