• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

My friend got the boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I ran into a friend at the exchange today and he told me that one of our friends got the boot recently. He was a flight attrite and went gen. av. Guess he didn't get his pin, so they kicked him out. Hell of a price to pay for having a bad flight and quitting the program.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the leason of this story is...don't quit just because you had a bad day, or two. If they don't want you in the flight program they will not hesitate to show you the hangar door. Let the Navy make the first move. Be very very sure about DORing from ANY program.

Fatboy

pilot
If I quit after having a bad flight I would of quit at least 20 times by now! Especially those RI sims.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Road Program said:
He was a flight attrite and went gen. av. Guess he didn't get his pin, so they kicked him out.

Technically, your friend would not be eligible to earn a SWO pin. At least, that's how it is per the instruction. Do Gen Av's frequently get their pin anyway? Well, that depends on the CO of the carrier. What I often found was the case was that Gen Avs had very little, if any warfare knowledge, but were great OOD's. Rarely did they stand watches as CDC Watch Officer, U/I or otherwise. However, they were still allowed to qualify as SWO.

In any event, not getting the pin wouldn't be a reason why a Gen Av would be asked to leave the navy, since technically, they aren't allowed to get it anyway.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No offense, but DORing because of a "bad day" is pretty idiotic.

It's also very interesting that someone told the Marine SNAs here that DORing is better than being attrited. To me, and everyone else, that is COMPLETELY reverse logic. If you DOR, you're a quitter. If you attrite, you just can't hack flying.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
Ok I will be the first to admit it I am dumb about some of the things said on here, so what the hell do you do in General Avaiton? A navy thing but what happens when you get it are you just there awaiting your future fate?

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Killer,

They basically send you to a carrier for a sea tour and find you a job. For example, our airwing has this LTJG who was an NFO attrite, and he's basically the CAG's secretary. It doesn't make sense to pay this guy O-2 pay to have him do a BS job. The Navy figures it'll just cut it's losses by separating guys like this.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
No offense, but DORing because of a "bad day" is pretty idiotic.

Fly Navy said:
If you DOR, you're a quitter. If you attrite, you just can't hack flying.

Being someone who has DOR'd from the Navy's flight training program, I can almost guarantee you this person didn't DOR simply because he had a bad day or a bad flight. There are most likely several other factors involved that none of know about nor will we ever.

Probably the hardest decision I've ever had to make was when I DOR'd. Having joined the navy (enlisted nuke) specifically to have a shot a becoming a pilot and then earning my pilot's certificate when I was 19 while working through nuke power school and prototype, I can tell you that DOR'ing was no easy choice to make. To say that I felt like all my work had been in vain is an understatement. Additionally, to say that those who DOR are quitters is an ignorant statement to make in light of the fact that you don't know the circumstances behind the decision.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
Killer,

They basically send you to a carrier for a sea tour and find you a job. For example, our airwing has this LTJG who was an NFO attrite, and he's basically the CAG's secretary. It doesn't make sense to pay this guy O-2 pay to have him do a BS job. The Navy figures it'll just cut it's losses by separating guys like this.

I did a tour on the LINCOLN and worked/lived with "guys like this." For the most part, these are guys who make a fairly significant contribution to the operation of the carrier. Most are invariably on the bridge watch team working toward their OOD qual. Many of them serve in the capacity of division officers for various divisions throughout the ship. They are in no way limited to only serving in aviation related duties. I had Gen Av friends in Engineering, Deck, Supply, Intel, Training, etc. Are they filling BS jobs? I don't think so. I feel for their department heads, cause their loss is most certainly going to be felt. Carrier captains get their own secretary in the form of an LDO. CAG's and CVN CO's are busy people, so they need people who can manage their affairs efficiently. I see nothing wrong with this LTJG serving in the capacity of the CAG's secretary. It may not be the job you want, but I guarantee you that if you do that job well, the CAG will reward you well. A CAG doesn't get to be a CAG by not knowing many, many people. That could work well for any Gen Av trying to lateral transfer to another community.

Finally, many of these Gen Av's are prior enlisted with several years already in the Navy. These are guys who like the navy and want to make it a career, yet they are getting the boot. Now that, doesn't make sense.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the Navy is fat on people and they need to trim it down, then the 11XX and 13XX is the place to start. Steve said it well though. Most guys do contribute whether waiting to seperated in their own time or redesignate. I have known two guys well the DORed from flight. Both did very very well, including command in their followon communities, SWO and Intel. I know another guy that is still a Gen Av and made a very good career for the last 17 years or so. Fact is that every good officer, like every good applicant will not find a future in the Navy. It is a tough business.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hmm let me re-iterate, don't want to come off as an ass. Obviously there are people that DOR for very very good reasons. Flying is not for everyone. I have seen some people just say "screw it" because their instructor yelled at them and they got a Ready Room Down. That's bull****. Those are the guys I get annoyed at. We also had a guy that came to Primary, who got sick flying in airliners. He ended up DORing by FAM-2. I never understood that one. If he knows he gets sick in an AIRLINER, why would you come fly a light aircraft that'll bounce you the heck around?

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
Maybe this will help shed a little light.

If you attrite, you have failed to qualify in your MOS. If you DOR you "technically" did not fail. On occasion, it will be "suggested" to a SNA that he DOR so he will not have the blackmark on his record and the IP's will work to get him a MOS - if he was considered a good officer.

Flying is difficult - and some people just can not fly - doesn't mean they can not make a valuable contribution in another MOS. Chesty Puller comes to mind.......

Status
Not open for further replies.