• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

my eyes

PJA22

I do not know what my 20/____ vision is but my contacts are -5.50 and -4.75. I am confused on how this process works on getting PKR. I have aspirations to become a pilot but do not know if my eyes are waiverable or are they too "bad" to even be considered to be an aviator, in the Navy, or for that matter in any branch.

I greatly appreciate your knowledge.

SierraWhiskey

As far as I know, your prescription makes you eligible for PRK, which you'll probably need unless you somehow test better than 20/40 as is. Talk to an officer recruiter so that you can get that process started and your recruiter might know of some surgeons in your area.

McBuff

Sees the light
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/arwg/Pages/default.aspx. Do some research, theres a ton of info on this forum and on google. My recruiter wasn't too knowledgeable about the civilian PRK process so you may not get a lot of help there. A recruiter will however be able to guage your competitiveness for the program. If its any help, I got PRK in August and I'm leaving for OCS next week. Good Luck, Welcome to the site, and never start a question with "what percent...".

Immy

I'm pretty sure (Having read it somewhere a while ago) that the pre-PRK prescription limit is -8.00. The Air Force was like -5.50 IIRC.

PS Where do you go to high school at in Illinois?

Whitingorbust

I wouldn't worry about PRK for a while since it is recommended (if not required) that you be twenty-one years old to get it done. Your eyes are close to the limit (mine were -5.50 in both and I just got PRK) as I believe the Navy maximum is -5.75. I ended up getting one of my Active Duty advisor's to call Pensacola and make sure I was eligible. The -8.00 D is the maximum combined with any astigmatism you may have. Good luck finishing up high school and getting into college.

nugget61

pilot
I do not know what my 20/____ vision is but my contacts are -5.50 and -4.75. I am confused on how this process works on getting PKR. I have aspirations to become a pilot but do not know if my eyes are waiverable or are they too "bad" to even be considered to be an aviator, in the Navy, or for that matter in any branch.

Check out McBuff's link; on that page you'll see the Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide - that's going to be your guide on all things medical. In section 12.15, you'll see the PRK guidelines. You'll have to get checked by a doc to determine your dilated prescripion, as that is what they go by (not by what your contacts are, however it should be very close). With that prescription you shouldn't be DQed from the surgery, but you'll have to ensure that you meet all of the other pre-surgery criteria that's listed on that PDF.
Most places will give you a free evaluation (trying to get you to get your eyes cut there), so just make an appointment, bring that paperwork with you and explain it all to the doc. And be sure to get your OR on board with your decision, as it will significantly delay you.

Immy

Section 12.15 of the NAMI Ophthalmology Waiver Guide makes mention of a 3 month minimum on waiver submittal for eyes better than -6.00 myopia and 6 month minimum if you are worse than -6.00 myopia. It makes no mention of astigmatism.

I believe you Whiting, and there is no reason for me to be worrying about it at my age, but my vision is already at -4.50 and I'm worried it could deteriorate to past -5.75 before I'm able to get PRK.

@ PJA, just wondering cause I'm currently a senior at Joliet Catholic Academy but I've never heard of St. Charles. You up in Chicago?

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor

I had a very similar prescription with some astigmatism as well, and PRK worked out well for me. You'll definitely need corrective surgery in order to qualify. To second what was said above, your cyclo (dialated) refraction will fall within the pre-operative limits no problem, based on the numbers you provided. You don't need to have the surgery anytime soon, I'd wait until 21 at a minimum, and by then Lasik may be an option for you as well. With any surgery there are a lot of variables so expect some hurdles, I had quite a few but still managed to walk in through the back door eventually.

What commissioning sources are you considering?

PJA22

Immy, St. Charles is is a northwest suburb of Chicago. It is about an 1.5 hours from Chicago.

Spitfire, the main commishioning program I am considering is NROTC. I have not decided if I am going to do Marine Option or not. I want to be a Marine, but I also want to fly. From my understanding, it is much more competitve to be a Marine pilot than Navy? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I have not ruled out WOFT with the Army, but that's the Army...

nugget61

pilot
Section 12.15 of the NAMI Ophthalmology Waiver Guide makes mention of a 3 month minimum on waiver submittal for eyes better than -6.00 myopia and 6 month minimum if you are worse than -6.00 myopia. It makes no mention of astigmatism.
There's some kind of formula to combine your straight correction and astigmatism to give you an overall diopter fix which is what the Navy uses for the time to wait. Just ask your Dr for your corrected numbers.