• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Multi-Vitamins

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
This might be more suited in war zone but I figured it was PT orientated so I posted here.

Just wanted to get some guys opinions on multi-vitamins and how they are working for ya.

Back when I was in bodybuilding mode I used to take supplements and pound down protein shakes before and after hitting the iron to bulk up. Pretty easy once I got down what I liked.

Over the last year or so though I have shifted gears drastically and been focused on cardio more then anything..(Been slimming down and getting a more toned body) I run about 6 miles every other morning and do random calisthenics before I goto sleep. I don't take supplements or protein anymore but I've been taking one a day vitamins every morning before breakfast and they seem to definitely boost my energy throughout the day and I tend to feel alot better..

My buddy gave me a packet of vitamins called Animal-pak http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/univ/animalpak.html I tried them out and I definitely felt kick ass during and after my run... Did notice they dehydrate the fuck out of you though... I was wondering does anyone else take these? If so would they be ok to take if I am just keeping on my cardio regiment or should I look into other multi-vitamins because from what I read on the description of bodybuilding.com it seemed they were more or less for bulking up..which I am NOT trying to do lol.. Just wanted to get some input on this =)

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Just make sure that, if you're aircrew (I know there are some people on this forum who aren't, so disregard if you're not going into the air) that what you are taking is within the rules. You can get taken off duty for taking the wrong stuff. When I was stashed, my job was to help research dietary supplements sold on base, and almost every product sold at places like GNC contains at least one Class C (prohibited at all times) substance or ingredient.

Here's the rules, for those interested.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/sas/files/dietary_supplement_policy.pdf

To the OP: Your Animal Pak isn't against the rules unless you're going to be flying. Taking it will remove you from aviation duty for a minimum of 24 hours.

chase580

Animal pak is a good product for a serious athlete, but as you said you need to drink a lot of water (but you should be drinking at least a gallon a day anyways). I used to take animal paks but got tired of taking so many pills (especially the two giant ones) so now I take Opti-Men from Optimum Nutrition. You pretty much take a tablet before each major meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) which I prefer over 10 pills all at once.

I am pretty similar to you and have integrated a lot of cardio into my routine but I still do my 3 day split routine to keep the muscle I have worked hard for.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Just make sure that, if you're aircrew (I know there are some people on this forum who aren't, so disregard if you're not going into the air) that what you are taking is within the rules. You can get taken off duty for taking the wrong stuff. When I was stashed, my job was to help research dietary supplements sold on base, and almost every product sold at places like GNC contains at least one Class C (prohibited at all times) substance or ingredient.

Here's the rules, for those interested.

https://www.netc.navy.mil/nascweb/sas/files/dietary_supplement_policy.pdf

To the OP: Your Animal Pak isn't against the rules unless you're going to be flying. Taking it will remove you from aviation duty for a minimum of 24 hours.

Damn, I didn't know all this.. Thank you very much for the input.. Yeah I am a middy 2/c still so I got 2 years left but I plan on going Aviation so this was def good gouge to know so I do not get in trouble. Thanks for the input guys I will look into a few of these

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Damn, I didn't know all this..

No biggie. Most people don't know, hell I didn't until I started doing that research. Most of those Class C substances won't kill you or anything (but a few might do a great job trying), the reason they are on the list is because they haven't been evaluated by the Navy or their benefits don't outweigh the risks. Nothing serious.

Any docs wanna chime in on this one? I don't wanna be feeding false information.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Just wanted to get some guys opinions on multi-vitamins and how they are working for ya.
They are literally pissing money down the toilet. But hey, if people swearing by them gets you motivated, then go for it.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Super B Complex if you want energy for PT, nuff said. As with anything you put into your body, do some research first and talk to your physician.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Most vitamins are water soluble and harmless, but look out for the Chinese herbs like ma huang and guarana. I have run some of these herbal suppliments by an organic chemist, and he told me that ma huang, for example, enabled me to ski all day and night tirelessly because it is one molecle short of being meth amphetamine. And he added that the other chemicals in the raw plant were somewhat toxic as well.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you eat a proper well balanced diet, vitamins aren't really necessary. But if you're a guy like me who hates eating veggies, a multi is a good idea. Having a vitamin deficiency can do all kinds of weird shit to your body. I just take a centrum multi, B12, and B6. I take them whenever I remember. I took them religiously during my senior year and I found it was much easier to stay awake in class and I had more energy while working out. Keep it simple.

CashvillePlt

OVER THE LINE!
Well shit. I'm glad I clicked on this thread. I've been taking a GNC multi for about a week now and have MEPS coming up late next week. I'm going to go ahead and assume a Class C ingredient in my piss would get me DQ'ed for SNA? (the link that desertoasis posted didn't work for me)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
While all you guys/gals are yankin' & bankin' over the merits of vitamins/supplements ... let me give you some 'ol guy input:

When I was screened (screamed ??) by the Mayo Clinic for airline #3 ... the eye Doc said: "You'll need glasses @ 50 years of age ... " :)

She was close ... I had to use 'cheaters' (dime-store variety -- I've never ponied up for a prescription set and ALWAYS passed an FAA physical with 20/20 or better) when I was @ 54-55 or so ... still use 'em when I'm tired, the light is less than 'great', or the print is small ..... BUT:

I've been takin' a mixed 'cocktail' of eye-friendly stuff for the past year or so ... I can still pass an exam with 20/20 on a good day ... and some of the stuff I couldn't read a year ago unassisted --- I can read just fine today.

And I'm really, really .... old.

1withshades.jpg

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Well shit. I'm glad I clicked on this thread. I've been taking a GNC multi for about a week now and have MEPS coming up late next week. I'm going to go ahead and assume a Class C ingredient in my piss would get me DQ'ed for SNA? (the link that desertoasis posted didn't work for me)

Don't sweat it. They're not going to bang you on your in-physical for taking a multivitamin. Hell, half of those things that are listed on the flight status no-no list you can get "cleared" for simply by telling the flight doc about it. He notes it in your record, end of story.

Just stay away from the sketchy stuff. Testosterone boosters with Russian labels are the first ones I'd avoid.