• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Moving to Corpus

Status
Not open for further replies.

investmurr

Was wondering if anyone had names of condos or apartments that work well for Primary at Corpus? Do they give you ample time to look for housing and to move? Will be moving from API in Pensacola soon and was wondering if I should maybe connect with a realtor or something?

moestud

Look into Baypoint apartments, they call it BOQ west (west of the airfield) because everyone lived there, they are really nice apartments and w/ just about everyone living there its easy to find a ride home from going out, people to study w/ etc.. You can find less expensive housing near Baypoint too, there are several complexes. Its off Ennis Joslin. I did not get much time to find a place, checked into the wing on a sunday and checked into the squadron that Friday, so the sooner you find a place the better.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I lived at Sugar Tree a complex off of Ennis Joslin as well. You have to make a U-turn to under the SPID to get to the complex if you are coming from the base. I lived there many, many years ago but it was quite advantageous to the base. Semper, Frumby

Attack Pilot
LtCol USMCR

investmurr

Thanks for the info. Was also wondering if you have to keep getting state specific auto insurance each time you move to a new state? When I moved from the midwest I had to get Fl. car insurance but kept my plates. Since my tags will expire in Corpus do most people get Texas tags and insurance?

schmuckatelli

Texas is one of the states that does not have state income taxes so it might be a good idea (financially) to change your residency when your tags expire. If you are currently in Florida that is also another state that does not have state income taxes so it might make sense to get Florida tags and change your residency even though your current ones are still good. One advantage I have found to being a Florida resident vs. a Texas resident is that in Texas you will need to have proof of some kind of car inspection before they send you your new registration sticker each year. Florida has no such requirement so I just send them $28.10 and they send me a new sticker without having to get an inspection.

To answer your insurance question, yes, you need to call your insurance company each time you move (even if it is in the same state) so they can update your address and send you a new card to keep in the glove compartment.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
don't change your insurance to texas.. and corpus especially. the car theft rate is very high and insurance rates (for me) were about a hundred fifty dollars per six months more expensive than florida..

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You don't have to change your car tags in order to claim Florida or Texas as your home of record (I know home of record is the wrong term, but the right one escapes me. Basically it's your state of permanent residence.). All you need to do is get your license in one of the two states and go to your admin office. They will look at your license and fill out a piece of paper that states that that is your State of permanent residence. As far as changing your insurance, that's a legal issue. If you're involved in an accident your insurance agent could potentially void your policy for applying for insurance under false premise (That is, if you fail to inform them that you have moved to a new residence -- especially out of state.). Clear as mud?

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
You definitely need to inform your insurance company that you have moved. During my senior year, I had my car with me at school in PA, but we still had the insurance saying the car was back at my home. I had a small accident during bad weather, and when me and my parents went to file the claim the insurance company found out. They could have denied the claim apparently, but they cut us a break and only added an additional premium to the policy for the car being out of state (by additional I mean like $1000 extra per year). From that experience, I tell everyone that if you move the car from wherever it says on the policy to somewhere new, tell them, because if something does happen you could lose everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.