• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Motivational Statement

Daniel M

I have recently registered here and this is my first post. I am about to begin the application process for the BDCP. I am a Criminal Justice Major and am in my Juniot year. I have been reading this board for about two to three weeks and have gotten some really good information. I have seen some suggestions and comments that have given me some good pointers on writing my motivational statement but what I want to know is what exactly are they looking for in a motivational statement or is that something that can be solidified?

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
There is a thread with many examples of good and bad motivational statements to peruse through. That is a good starting point.

Daniel M

hey nzachman do you have the link to the thread or are you talking about the "1001 ways" thread?

thanks m26, yeah I'm probably over thinking it already

EDYboo08

Amazingness User
So, when I was writing my statement this past summer I actually had no clue what I was doing or how important it was to my getting into the program, or even how copetitive the program was
So my statement had no agenda or worries, I just wrote whatever came to mind at the time, spell checked and sent it in
And what do you know? I got in for Intelligence during January's board!
So, my advice? Be completely yourself! :)

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Alright, I need to write a short manifesto on the motivational statement and get it stickied. I have mentioned this before and will keep mentioning it.

Don't overthink the motivational statement. I needs to be a clear 5 paragraph essay that says why you want to be in the Navy and what you would bring to the table.

Good reasons you want to join:
- Love United States
-Want to serve
-Love challenges
-You are a leader
-Like teamwork
-etc., etc.,

Good things you bring to the table:
-Leadership experience
-Goal/Detail oriented
-Driven to succeed
-Will be better than the next guy
-etc., etc.,

Bad things:
-I know every variant of every fighter ever flown and I already know the JSF NATOPS by heart.
-My flight sim score beat everybody on my floor at ERAU.
-The Navy will be a good stepping stone for my career outside.
-Chicks dig the unifom and I could use some help in that department (Girls do like the uniform, but only because it stands for an elite group; a dork in chokers is a dork none-the-less.)

Notice that there is some overlap here; many things can be both.

The motivational statement is not something that will make you look great if it is unbelievable; the unbelievable motivational statement does not exist. However, crappy ones do and they can sink you if it brings you attention.

Don't overthink it. Have an English major look over it for you, make it grammatically/stylisticly clean, and send it in.

VP Love,

RockyMtnNFO

jdean3204

One quick question. I am currently enlisted in the Navy and have about 3 years left. My plan was to get out and utilize the GI Bill for school then apply for OCS. (assuming I dont get picked up for STA-21). I am currently taking classes while in at ERAU. I was wondering if I can apply for BDCP right after my enlistment is up. Will my GI Bill still be usable if accepted?