• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

More on the Cole

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airboss2B

This guy is the SUPPO on the Anchorage. Another note that tells how things are. Things you won't hear about on CNN.

quote:
Sent:Thursday, October 19, 2000 1:31 AM

John, Your friend said it all. We too are on station and I will be going over there in the morning to provide a lunch. I wanted to grill steak for them on their deck, but there is still too much oil and fuel, not to
mention every square foot of deck is now their living space, to set up a grill.

Their requests have been simple, hot food, cold drinks and dry coveralls and boots. The ships here are all taking turns doing their laundry and cooking their meal. The Cole's crew has been offered repeatedly to take R&R on another ship but most have refused. They refuse to leave their ship.

The details of their shipmates having to be
cut from the bulkheads and descriptions and photos of the description have filtered to our ship. It is amazing that more were not killed. It is equally amazing that it is still afloat. The keel is ripped apart and at present cannot even be towed to open water to be placed on a dry-dock vessel. The #1 engine room is flooded solid, as is AUX 1. The Messdecks deck is now pressed against the overhead. The entire galley was pushed to the starboard side and the equipment is unrecognizable. This is where
many crew members died. The ship was very nearly lost. They are truly heroes. We all have a lot to do to save this vessel but the crew of the Cole has endured the brunt of it so far.

I have vowed myself and my department to offer any comfort, large or small that we are capable of providing, to the Cole. None of my guys have once complained and all have volunteered to help in any way.

The Cole's Suppo was injured and flown home. The disbo is now running things. I will assess his needs when I go over. The Suppo on the Hawes has been controlling the efforts but now that the Tarawa is on station
they seem to be taking the reins, but I think I can at least provide him some insight.

Let there be no doubt that this is a hostile land. It took days before we were even allowed to enter territorial waters and still we are heavily restricted in flights and must maintain a constant vigil against additional hostile actions. The Yemen government is still not being very helpful and we are trying to place all personnel onboard the ships that are currently staying at the two hotels in town. The Cole's
crew remains emotionally and physically drained I'm told. So, since you have experienced Navy life, try relay to those back home the sacrifices we make, hardships we endure, and the dangers we face in an effort to keep those Stars and Stripes flying high over a ship 10,000 miles from home.
Take care and sleep well knowing the US Navy is on watch tonight, but say a prayer for the 250 members of the Cole who must wake tomorrow to another day of fighting for their ship.

John Cassani
USS ANCHORAGE

Status
Not open for further replies.