• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Monster Marine OCS thread: stupid questions answered here!

xcinman

Awaiting my commission in May
Call and ask him tomorrow is probably the best
10-4. Thanks. Last I spoke with him was Christmas Day and he said he hoped to have results by now, but unfortunately hasn’t gotten them yet. I will check tomorrow with him.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
I am afraid of being dropped from Marine OCS, what can I do to prepare? I like to think I am capable of this, but I am afraid of DORing without saying it. :(

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
I am afraid of being dropped from Marine OCS, what can I do to prepare? I like to think I am capable of this, but I am afraid of DORing without saying it. :(
OCS is a big deal and tough but it's not that big of a deal or tough. Listen to what your OSO has said, read some blogs as jhoward suggested, and keep pting.
Biggest thing is don't quit, especially before you even get there.
Are there any specific concerns?

xcinman

Awaiting my commission in May
PT your rear end off, but not so much you get injured. I believe muscular endurance strength and cardiovascular endurance strength will help you the most. Keep in mind, I have yet to attend, but I have talked with many who have graduated.

Criminal

pilot
I am just afraid of my leadership ability, or being dropped from the program involuntarily.
That's what OCS is for, to evaluate those things. Just let the program work. You'll get there, learn allot, and if you apply those things you will probably be fine. Few get dropped for leadership; if you had little to no leadership potential, you wouldn't have been selected.
If you get dropped you will most likely be invited back, unless you quit or are completely useless.
Quitting now is what we call a dick move in the industry. You have already taken a spot and another dude is not able to go.
Quit stressing. Go for a run, drink a few beers. You'll either pass or not. Let the people who are trained to evaluate you make that call.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I am just afraid of my leadership ability, or being dropped from the program involuntarily.

Control what you can control. Don't worry about what you can't.

Be physically prepared and mentally ready.

Being a good leader, or at least one good enough to pass OCS, is a lot easier if the DIs don't think you're a slow fatbody and you make yourself stand out. Be a good PTer, and study the information your OSO gives you.

If you have the physical and mental under control and you still fail, it wasn't meant to be.

Law_to_1830

Hello, I am an attorney that is highly interested in pursuing a commission through the OCC Law program. I have already contacted a local OSO and I'm well on my way with my application.

I have a question, though. In the Rough Application, there's a question that asks:

"Have you ever been rejected for enlistment or induction into any
branch of the Armed Forces? If yes, provide the date, branch
and reason for rejection."

My two questions:
  1. Is there a difference between being "rejected" and simply not being selected?
  2. If merely not being selected for OCS counts for this question, then what do I write for the reason?
The Marine Corps was always my #1 choice, but for a while I did not think I could get in due to some medical issues (which I now know are easily waivable, but I didn't know that back then). So I applied for a Navy position a while back. I didn't get in, but they don't give you a reason. They just say "non-select." I was deemed medically fit, I greatly exceeded their academic and PT qualifications, and I've never had any issues with the law obviously. So it was certainly not a rejection for cause. The wording seems to imply "rejection for cause" since it asks for the reason.

My recruiter was shocked that I didn't get in, as I was objectively well above average compared to those selected. He figures it was just the luck of the draw (that Navy program only hires maybe 5% of applicants). Of course, I would far rather get into the Marine Corps if I can, so it could work out even better this way.

Criminal

pilot
Say yes, i was not selected for Navy officer board xyz and date. That simple. It's not a negative mark or anything in your context, they just need to know.