• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Mobile Security Detachments

LoneSailor

Depending on how many intel officers there are on a boat, the likelyhood of an intel o leading a VBSS team (which by the way is totally different from MSDs) is slim. Also, deployed MSD dets are usually lead by a chief or sometimes a warrant. When I was deployed, the security detail for our camp was handled by 7 sailors from an MSD det and they were led by a highspeed LPO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TXHusker05 said:
As Spy said, Intel officers CAN lead VBSS teams.

That's not exactly what he said:

FlyinSpy said:
Pigs can occasionally get airborne, hell can get a bit chilly...

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of what you suggest. Occasionally, man bites dog. All we're saying is to not plan on it. Also, try not be be quite so snotty - you're starting to become "that guy." Remember, whatever you think you know, you have zero experience as an officer or operator of any kind. Try to keep that in mind when people with decades of experience are trying to help you out by telling you how it is in the fleet.

Brett

leepayne

Ex OPS for MSD

If y'all still want to know about MSD, I just came from MSD 24 in Portsmouth, VA.

We have one Intel officer for the whole squadron (MSRON 6 has 4 Dets, 24, 25, 26, 27).

Dets consist of 3 officers and approx. 82 enlisted.

OIC: O4, used to be only SWOs, but now open to any post dept head, any community. 24-SWO, 25-Subs, 26-SWO, 27-Aviator.

OPS: O2 SWO

SECO: LDO O1, O2

3 small boats: 25 ft SAFE boats, BMs, ENs, and MAs manned

Other landside teams consist primarily of MAs with one IT, one ET, two HMs, one SK, one DC.

Questions?

Lee

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
MSD's are no different than VBSS teams that are formed on EVERY Naval ship I know of.
What on earth are you talking about?

TXHusker05 said:
Most VBSS teams are led by intelligence officers because A) They know what to look for when they board a ship and B) They often know the language or the culture of the people onboard the ship or in that region.
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

TXHusker05 said:
That is actually why I would prefer getting a warfare qualification before going into intel through a lateral transfer. But that is just me.
Then go SWO. But do me a favor and let me know what ship you're going to so I can warn the DH's, XO, and CO.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then maybe you need to get your facts straight. As Spy said, Intel officers CAN lead VBSS teams. I didn't say all VBSS teams.
No, you said most VBSS teams are led by Intel-O's. Here, let me refresh your memory before you have a chance to edit it.

TXHusker said:
Most VBSS teams are led by intelligence officers because...
...and then actually have to balls to explain this bad gouge as fact.

TXHusker said:
A good friend of mine is an on his O-1 intel cruise, he asked the skipper if he could qualify as a VBSS team leader and the skipper approved. Now he is leading VBSS teams aboard suspected pirate vessels off the Somali coast line.
Ok, but there's a big difference between that and coming across as "knowing" that most VBSS boarding officers are Intel-O's.

TXHusker said:
I don't appreciate being told what can't happen when it really, truly IS happening.
Are you trying to get information from us or are you trying to provide us information?

TXHusker said:
Like Spy mentioned, if you are doing your job right and talk to the skipper about taking on some extra duties (qualifying for OOD, VBSS Team Leader, etc.), he will not say no.
And you know this how?

TXHusker said:
And to back up to whoever asked about VBSS teams being on big deck ships, as of 2004 there is a VBSS team onboard LHD's across the fleet.
The question was about VBSS teams being aboard CVN's, not big decks. Semantics to you maybe. But the question was specifically about CVN's.

TXHusker said:
I do find it funny that in one thread, no one knows what the hell a MSD detachment is or what it takes to be a VBSS boarding officer but all of a sudden they know what they are talking about. Give me a little credit, I do know a thing or two about the Navy.
I stood up two boarding teams from scratch. I too know a little about what I'm talking about. As for MSD's, I can only offer generalities. I know folks who have been in those units though, so getting the information wouldn't be a problem.

cedesq

Husker, you might also want to check out the Navy intel discussion board at: www.military.com as you may be able to get add'l info there. I found that I usually get all the info I could possibly want between both this group and that group! There's a third group that's strictly special ops: www.socnetcentral.com and this one's pretty cool and informative as well.

OccamsRazor

Final Select BDCP Intel
As a retard O-1 about to go to Intel School, I'd just like to thank the chap who resurrected the thread for a hilarious couple of minutes and yet another reminder to avoid being "that guy" as a 1630.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When you do your visit to the DC Suitland area, shoot me a PM. We'll do lunch at the "facility."

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Technically, could an Intel O even lead a VBSS team as they are RL and not URL? The whole not in line for command at sea thing? Just wondering...

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Technically, could an Intel O even lead a VBSS team as they are RL and not URL? The whole not in line for command at sea thing? Just wondering...

Seriously? Restricted Line means not eligible for command at sea. A VBSS team isn't a "command".

picard_facepalm1-500x328.jpg

BigRed389

None

IIRC, the instruction doesn't explicitly prohibit it, I've even seen an ASUPPO who was ABO for a boarding team.

The issue is more a manning thing...standard VBSS team is made up by ship's company, and most of the ships out there actually doing VBSS today do not have Intel O's as part of ship's company. I'm sure there are weird ass stories about exceptions to this norm, but they're also probably from years ago, before the Navy really standardized the warfare area.
There's also the admin/program management side of things which, again, you really need to assign to somebody who's ship's company, not a TAD augment.

However, the HUMINT oriented guys do get in the mix with that type of stuff, just more oriented towards the "Intel" part.