• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minority w/ 300 PFT Air Contract

Wcalkins

Dear all,

This is my first post, and I have been reading this site for over a year now. I know everyone hates the "what are my chances" and believe me I have searched through posts for hours and hours.

I have been working with my oso for over a year and just feel alittle defeated and dont want to get my hopes up just to get let down again. Anyways...

Im a...
Male
Native American
27 y.o.
300 PFT
2.75 GPA
96 ASVAB
6/6/5 56 ASTB
DI Scholarship athlete (CC & track)
Lots of community service
Officer in Fraternity
SGA representative
LOR are all good (3 congressman that were Marines)
3 waivers Misdemeanor tresspassing, admission to Marijuana, Age (I will be just passed 27.5 at commissiong if selected for OCC 209)

I was a non select for ground 208 with a 300 pft. Other than doing more community service and switching to air there really is nothing for me to do to improve my application.

My OSO said that I will have a better shot at air since the selection rate is higher. Not sure how much being old will have an effect.
About what % of air applicants get 300 pft?
Are my three waivers making me dead in the water with the current circumstances?
Will me reapplying carry alot of weight with the selection board?
If I do not get selected for 209 should I try again for air or switch to reserve?
If someone knows for sure I will not get selected due to gpa or waivers should I switch to reserve now?

Also Im the only air contract being submitted from my OSO if that makes any difference, and Im in the Eastern Region.

I appreciate any thoughtful advice.
Thank you.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Dear all,

This is my first post, and I have been reading this site for over a year now. I know everyone hates the "what are my chances" and believe me I have searched through posts for hours and hours.

I have been working with my oso for over a year and just feel alittle defeated and dont want to get my hopes up just to get let down again. Anyways...

Im a...
Male
Native American
27 y.o.
300 PFT
2.75 GPA
96 ASVAB
6/6/5 56 ASTB
DI Scholarship athlete (CC & track)
Lots of community service
Officer in Fraternity
SGA representative
LOR are all good (3 congressman that were Marines)
3 waivers Misdemeanor tresspassing, admission to Marijuana, Age (I will be just passed 27.5 at commissiong if selected for OCC 209)

I was a non select for ground 208 with a 300 pft. Other than doing more community service and switching to air there really is nothing for me to do to improve my application.

My OSO said that I will have a better shot at air since the selection rate is higher. Not sure how much being old will have an effect.
About what % of air applicants get 300 pft?
Are my three waivers making me dead in the water with the current circumstances?
Will me reapplying carry alot of weight with the selection board?
If I do not get selected for 209 should I try again for air or switch to reserve?
If someone knows for sure I will not get selected due to gpa or waivers should I switch to reserve now?

Also Im the only air contract being submitted from my OSO if that makes any difference, and Im in the Eastern Region.

I appreciate any thoughtful advice.
Thank you.

Those bold items in your list are what're holding you back. Just apply again and see what happens. Have another plan in mind if you still want to serve, e.g. another service.

I have no idea what percentage of air applicants get a 300 PFT, and I bet no one but an OSO knows. I suspect the percentage is relatively small, but not insignificant. I suspect the more relevant question for you is "What percentage of 300 PFT applicants get accepted?" I don't know that, either, though.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
lots of words...

....more words ....
if your OSO says you have a better shot at an air contract, why not put in for it and assuming you make it to TBS, drop your air contract at TBS for a ground contract? (if the ground thing is what you want)

S/F

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Minority should have nothing to do with it, but who knows in this environment.

God knows I've seem more rah-rahing about "Diversity" and "Group X History Month" than I have seen about "Ass Kicking 101" or "Self defense that may save your ass".

What has two thumbs and got out (partly) because of this? -->THIS GUY<--

I don't care what color you think you are, if you're a dude who likes dicks, if you're a chick who likes chicks, or a chick WITH a dick. You want to hold hands with another dude? Fuck it, WHO CARES? Hell, if you can swap spit with another dude while gunning down all enemies, foreign and domestic, I'll high five you myself. (No man love from me, though, unless it's Thursday.)

General Magnus said it best when he said that a Marine (or Sailor, or Soldier, or Airman) looks like a Marine when he's bayonetting the enemy in the chest. Screw all that other sensitivity stuff. Because if you're putting foot to ass for this country, I'll buy you a beer no matter how weird your personal habits are or what you look like. I simply don't care, and never have, provided you don't try to force your beliefs upon me.

Edit: Okay, okay, I had a little too much coffee. But I'll stand by it.

phrogpilot73

Between Gaijin and Fester, we've got some very quotable posts the last couple of days... Both posts hit the nail on the head!

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
Just a heads up, spouting off about being a "minority" can cause more resentment than anything. Yes it is true that their is a push for minority officers... if any one has a doubt about this: http://www.military.com/news/article/naval-academy-admissions-under-scrutiny.html. Do your job and know your shit and most people could give a rats ass if you were pink, just PLEASE dont go around with the attitude that your race gives you an advantage. It makes me, as 1 of maybe 2 or 3 black faces in my training squadron look bad, because of the attitude of some that a minority did not get here on their own merit. (which can be true in some instances) But what really matters is: I've met and exceeded ALL of the standards placed on me thus far and that's all that should ever matter....

As a minority (Chinese American), I couldn't imagine bragging about being having any sort of advantage. I think many minorities, including myself, felt the need to always excel higher than the standards and prove that we didn't get where we were solely on the basis of our racial status. So yeah, acting like what pharaelga is talking about would make you a total douche. On the flip side, it probably isn't best to have a huge chip on your shoulder either.

392Hemi

It is true though if a white guy had the same stats as a minority the white guy would lose. Its all about diversity

Congrats on the good scores, and good luck!