• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minimum Time Commitment for Aviation before Lateral Transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm all for chasing your dreams against the odds. My point is just that you should not go into one field with the idea of switching later. *Put in for SWO on initial entry as an officer or go to law school and apply to the JAG corps from there.* Don't count on being able to do the Harmon Raab thing.

All those SWO heroes are from WWII going back to the 1700s. I don't know the last valor medals to go to a SWO, but I suspect they were given to LTJG John Kerry on his Swift boat and to the XO of the Liberty around that time. Aviators get the chance to make history as JOs--dropping bombs, picking up troops/specops, etc. The ship's CO may get a BZ for a TLAM launch, but I doubt the LT on weapons will be noted anywhere but in the duty log. No offense to our SWO brethren, because I fear my entry will bring a deluge of angry replies, but it is a hard, thankless job. Same with JAG--one guy will get to defend 2ndLt Pantano, but most deal with drunk-and-disorderlies and things of that nature.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nate@olemiss said:
Funny that Halsey made your list, he was an aviator.
What's funny is you think you got me. I'll let you figure it out.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
I'm all for chasing your dreams against the odds. My point is just that you should not go into one field with the idea of switching later. *Put in for SWO on initial entry as an officer or go to law school and apply to the JAG corps from there.* Don't count on being able to do the Harmon Raab thing.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with joining with the intention of switching communities. The key is that you have to be able to accept that the transfer is not guaranteed. As long as you go into it with eyes wide open and are ok with serving in whatever initial community you select for the entirity of your obligation, then no harm no foul.

phrogdriver said:
Aviators get the chance to make history as JOs--dropping bombs, picking up troops/specops, etc.
I'm sensing a slight implication that you feel SWO's don't have the same oportunity "to make history."

phrogdriver said:
The ship's CO may get a BZ for a TLAM launch, but I doubt the LT on weapons will be noted anywhere but in the duty log. No offense to our SWO brethren, because I fear my entry will bring a deluge of angry replies, but it is a hard, thankless job.
Any idea what it takes to pull off a TLAM launch? SWO job hard? Yes...thankless? I don't think so.

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Steve,
Ok, I'm a leeetle slow. Other than the fact that Admiral Halsey was a blackshoe through and through (didn't get his wings until the age of 52 for those who don't know), I may be missing your point. I did take note of this before I posted by the way; I just chocked it up to his being a late bloomer.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So what the hell was he.....a black shoe or an aviator? BTW, what squadrons did he fly with?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
On with the same analogy, though, don't forget people like Butch O'Hare, Jimmy Thach, Randall Cunningham, John Glenn, Alan Shepard, and Neil Armstrong. All wore gold wings. Every community's got their legends and those who plug along in obscurity, even if the shoes did have a 135-year head start . . .

Jeff29

Science Project
frcabot said:
Hello,

What is the Minimum Time Commitment for Naval Aviators before they can request a lateral transfer (for LEP and JAGC, for example). I was told that it was between 4 and 6 years depending on type of aircraft but I'd like to confirm this and get more specifics.

Just wondering if you could explain the motivation/rationale behind this.

Status
Not open for further replies.