• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Minimum Time Commitment for Aviation before Lateral Transfer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frcabot

Hello,

What is the Minimum Time Commitment for Naval Aviators before they can request a lateral transfer (for LEP and JAGC, for example). I was told that it was between 4 and 6 years depending on type of aircraft but I'd like to confirm this and get more specifics.

frcabot

Hey,

That offered more information ("NOTE: Aviation (131X and 132X) officers will be allowed to apply for lateral transfer when the officer is within 12 months of completing active duty service obligation (ADSO) from winging or any obligated service as a result of aviation career continuation pay (ACCP). However, aviation officers shall not be permitted to lateral transfer until completion of ADSO, expiration of ACCP contract, or planned rotation date, whichever is later. An aviation officer wishing to lateral transfer that is currently obligated by an ACCP contract (greater than 12 months remaining) must surrender the remaining ACCP compensation prior to applying for board consideration.")

Nevertheless, it doesn't like what that ADSO or MTC is. Does anyone know this?

Airman Rob

AEDO to Pilot

What is the situation with lateral transfer from the Reserve AEDO community (1515) to Active Duty pilot - i.e. to be sent to pilot training??
What are the age requirements etc.... I can't see any mention of that in the MILPERSMAN references ....

Thanks

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
LEP isn't really the same thing as a Lateral Transfer (even though the end result is similar). LEP is an education program. You can apply anytime between 2 and 6 years of active duty service, irrespective of your aviation commitment.

In reality, because aviators start getting quality competitive fitness reports later in thier careers than SWOs, Supply, etc., they aren't competitive for LEP until close to the end of the eligibility window, if at all.

Regarding the aviation commitment, your payback clock stops rolling while you're in law school, and gets added on to your LEP payback. I'll have about 17 years in by the time both my commitments are satisified (forget about any bonuses from either community).

I got picked up for LEP at the end of my first sea tour (about 3.5 years after wings, and just under six years active duty). I got lucky -- most pilots don't have competitive service records until after the six-year mark, when they're no longer eligible for LEP.

It's a long shot, even for SWOs and Supply weenies who get a chance for more LEP looks than pilots -- like I said, I got lucky. I would never recommend it as the preferred course of action to someone whose ultimate goal was to become a JAGC officer rather than URL. But it is the best deal in the Navy, so if you're interested, give it a whirl. The worst thing they can do is say no.

Grain of salt: all of my info was accurate as of the time I picked up LEP (April 2002). The Pers-4416E detailer can provide up-to-date info.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
frcabot said:
Hello,

What is the Minimum Time Commitment for Naval Aviators before they can request a lateral transfer (for LEP and JAGC, for example). I was told that it was between 4 and 6 years depending on type of aircraft but I'd like to confirm this and get more specifics.

You can put in a lateral transfer request at any time. The MILPERSMAN will specify what the time committment is that you must fullfill before you are allowed to actually transfer. But this has nothing to do with when you can submit your package. You can submit the package before the mininum time committment is up, and if selected, would still continue in present community until obligation complete and then make the transfer. As already stated though, JAG is a whole different ball of wax than other communities.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only exception to all of this, as I always say, is the Viking guys. With the sundown, if you are selected for any transition, you will be allowed to transition to the new field as soon as your command can let you go. Viking guys do not have to just transition to another platform, BUPERS considers acceptance to any programs, lat transfer programs, interservice transfers, etc to be a successful transition. I am pretty certain that any obligations will carry over with you to your new field.

R

RickyDT34

Airman Rob said:
What is the situation with lateral transfer from the Reserve AEDO community (1515) to Active Duty pilot - i.e. to be sent to pilot training??
What are the age requirements etc.... I can't see any mention of that in the MILPERSMAN references ....

Thanks

Interesting; does anyone know the answer to this. Anybody?

sgk

What are the chances for a lateral transfer to SWO? Or, since SWO is so overmanned right now, are most of the lateral tranfers going in the other direction (out of SWO)?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Airman Rob said:

Thanks
Sounds like a simple change of designator request combined with a request to be recalled to active duty for the purpose of going through flight training. I'm sure you would have to obligate yourself to the normal AD time committment for whatever platform you selected out of primary. You would need a full flight physical to submit with your package. I'm sure the normal age requirements remain the same. You may be eligible for a waiver, but not a waiver above and beyond the max age WITH a waiver.

Just because it may not be in the MILPERSMAN does not mean you can't request it. If your reserve unit CO is onboard with your desires, put the request in.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
sgk said:
What are the chances for a lateral transfer to SWO? Or, since SWO is so overmanned right now, are most of the lateral tranfers going in the other direction (out of SWO)?
I don't mean to sound discouraging, but lateraling INTO the SWO community is going to be a tough one right now. If it's what you really want, put the request in and keep putting it in for every lateral transfer board.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Good god, people, transferring out of aviation to be a JAG or a SWO is like quitting your job as a rock star to be the guy who gives Keith Richards his sponge bath.

Whatever floats your boat, man, but don't join thinking you'll switch later, since the odds aren't all that great.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Good god, people, transferring out of aviation to be a JAG or a SWO is like quitting your job as a rock star to be the guy who gives Keith Richards his sponge bath.
Interesting analogy, definitely haven't heard that one before. At any rate, one can only be a rock star for so long before he fizzles away and is forgotten. But as a SWO, you get to join the ranks of men like Halsey, Spruance, Nimitz, Burke, JPJ, Farragut, Decatur, Mahan, and leave your own legacy to be remembered forever.

phrogdriver said:
Whatever floats your boat, man, but don't join thinking you'll switch later, since the odds aren't all that great.
Why not? If he doesn't believe it will ever happen, most likely it won't. Screw the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.